How could I setup my DJ mixer with my pc?

Discussion in 'DJ's, MC's & Turntablism' started by Rogue Cypher, Nov 27, 2011.

1. Rogue Cypher

Rogue Cypher Member

Ideally I thought to one day have the denon dnhs 5500 but we dont live in an ideal world and Im fuckign broke!.

I want to be able to mix tunes from my pc with something like pcdj but with a hardware mixer or whatever i could use to closely replicate it.

I tried mixing with a mouse/kb and it sucked.

I already have the mixer, as i said, a midi kb and a korg padkotrol. Could i somehow rig them up into a makeshift mp3 mixing setup?

I think im gonna sell the padkotrol anyway as ive never used it and could do with the money more- hit me up anyone whos interested :D.

The midi kb has lots of midi ccs and 2 of those wheels. I was thinking maybe I could assign the wheels as pitch control.

The main problem tho is connecting my dj hardware mixer to the computer cos phono to usb no worky. Is there a way around this?

2. Forau

Forau CONCUSSION RECS

You can use any dj software which allow midi mapping, and assign everything on your hardware.

An analog mixer wont work with software without something like serato or traktor scratch.

Unles it has MidiLog (analog and digital). My American Audio VMS4 has this (used it as an analog mixer with technics for a while). And im selling it along with a full copy of traktor scratch and virtual dj if you want to make me an offer =P

3. Rogue Cypher

Rogue Cypher Member

Seems you missed the part where i said im fucking broke :D.

Anyhow, I could use the korg padkontrol for this then right?

I could use the pad bit for the crossfader i presume?

What is the best mixing program for the job?

4. Forau

Forau CONCUSSION RECS

Well traktor and vdj are both fully midi mappable. You could indeed use the korg. Just have a play about in the vdj mapper and see what you can do.

5. Rogue Cypher

Rogue Cypher Member

right, cheers; will do.

6. krimson

krimson Member

VDJ and Traktor can both be configured to use an external mixer. You don't need timecoding (Serato, TSP, etc) or anything to do this.

You will need a soundcard that can output 2+ stereo outputs but I doubt that will be an issue. Most generic soundcards can do this because they have analog 5.1 or 7.1 outs which means 3-4 stereo outs you can use.

You then just output each deck to a channel on your mixer and skip the internal mixer entirely. So the software is controlling the deck only and you're controlling the mixing externally.

I would lean towards Traktor Pro 2 for software. I have experience in VDJ and Traktor and found Traktor to be the better of the two. Personal opinion only.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2011
  7. Rogue Cypher

Rogue Cypher Member

Nice, I would require phono to headphone jack leads tho right?

I have one but I use it to connect my amp and speakers to the sound card- 2 more of those tho I presume?

This would be nice since playing around with the padkontrol its good but not having a crossfader I wasn't getting tight cuts on the pad. I'd make do but still hardware or a 'real' xfader would be better.

One thing with that setup tho- would the deck outputs be replacing speaker outputs I presume? cos I am using two for speaker outputs and would have to rearrange that if so.

I have two sound cards actually, one pci and one on the chipset. Also gotta have an output on the second sc for monitoring mixes right?

Last edited: Nov 29, 2011
  8. krimson

krimson Member

You would need 2x 3.5mm to RCA cables (yes, headphone to phono :p).

I think you could bypass the need to swap your cables. If you have a single cable doing stereo audio on your PC, you should hopefully still have a sub/center and surround channels free (assuming your soundcard is capable of 5.1).

Install ASIO4ALL. Assign Traktor to use the ASIO4ALL device. Find which 2 outputs relate to the 2 additional outs on your soundcard (probably 3/4 and 5/6).

You don't need another channel for monitoring because that is where your mixer would be doing the work. You are just outputing each deck at full volume and you use your mixer as if you were mixing on tables/cdj's.

I would lean towards using your padkontrol over the midi keyboard. You can assign 8 buttons per deck to use as cue/play/stutter and then assign the extra buttons to looping functions / effects and whatever else you want to use.

9. Rogue Cypher

Rogue Cypher Member

Kool, will check it out soon.

ah yes good point forgot i woudlnt require that if using the mixer :D

hmm ppl keep tlkaing about asio4all gonna have to look into it.