How come old DnB is so hard to get?

Ceerial

How come hardly any old DnB is ever re-released?

I've always wanted to buy some of the old Metalheadz 12'' as a digital download (I know they have a few tracks on the Metalheadz website, but it's not enough) or even better would be for someone the make compilations with some old 12'' tracks on it. Maybe something like the Drexciya 'Journey of the Deep Sea Dweller" series. I know a completely different genre, but why is something like that ever happening to the DnB genre?

Imagine artist compilations with old classic Photek, Source Direct, Dillinja, Hidden Agenda, Doc Scott, Foul Play etc. tracks on it

I know there might be some complications, because of how many record labels these artists has released tracks on. But I can't understand why ANY of them never re-releases their music.

I've never wanted to collect vinyl. So that might be my problem. But am I the only frustrated by this?

I'm kind of new on the dnb scene, so this might be a "stupid n00b" question, but I would just like to hear some peoples opinion on the topic.

Last edited:
How come hardly any old DnB is ever re-released?

I've always wanted to buy some of the old Metalheadz 12'' as a digital download (I know they have a few tracks on the Metalheadz website, but it's not enough) or even better would be for someone the make compilations with some old 12'' tracks on it.

Imagine artist compilations with old classic Photek, Source Direct, Dillinja, Hidden Agenda, Doc Scott, Foul Play etc. tracks on it

I know there might be some complications, because of how many record labels these artists has released tracks on. But I can't understand why ANY of them never re-releases their music.

I've never wanted to collect vinyl. So that might be my problem. But am I the only frustrated by this?

I'm kind of new on the dnb scene, so this might be a "stupid n00b" question, but I would just like to hear some peoples opinions.

There are tons of compilations and samplers with old tunes on but I can totally relate to this. Lots of old vinyls out there I´d like to have a mp3 of.

I know there is tons of compilations. But to be honest, I can't really find any I find particularly compelling. Maybe the Platinumz Breakz, Good Looking Record's Producer series or Photek's Form & Function vol. 1... But that's about it, if you ask me.

If you for example want the entire Source Direct or Photek discography on 12''. That would be almost impossible, and it would be nightmare to complete.

I could just torrent it, I guess. But I want to pay for this music, and have it in a proper audio quality.. so please let me *looks at metalheadz*

Last edited:
It's annoying I was really in to dnb from 2000ish and can't buy tunes from that time period. I have a few compilation CDs which have some good tunes on them (Bodyrock etc) but not all the tunes I want. Friend has a fair few ones on Vinyl but I want to buy them. I know I can convert them from youtube but the sound quality is poor + I want to pay for them :(

AAHAAAAA...

1-0 to us vinyl heads.

Dedbult - I swear you have some vinyl?

tbh The One & Alien Girl weren't that hard to get on wax for me personally.
Haven't got a good copy of Hi-Tek.

This is going to sound rather selfish, but i'd rather they didn't release some of the older records digitally. Means that vinyl users have an upper hand over digi heads with those older tunes. tbf the digi heads get tunes that don't get released to vinyl anyway...which I have been hugely annoyed about in the past.

i like it the way it is tbh

too much good old music that was vinyl only has made it to mp3 already. i wish they would stop doing it.

when u have a vinyl only track and its worth loads, they release it on mp3 it lowers its value dramatically. if u want it on mp3 you could always buy the vinyl and record it yourslef.
sure this might cost money but it has also cost me money buying a digital set up so i can play the digi only tracks. swings both ways.

music should stay as it is. i really don't get why old stuff is dug up and relreleased as digi. it's lame. not everything has to be availeable to everyone in every different format. if it was released on wax, let it be so. if it was released on casette only let it be. i want a 12" that goes for 150-200 quid (price always been that high and won't go down) on discogs and it's vinyl only. i can never have it, not for that price. so i've got to accept that and enjoy other great music that's out there. if you really want these tunes, buy the vinyl if you can and play it on a turntable where it was meant to be played.

The digital generation thinks that everyone should catch up with whats happening or gonna happen without reaching back and respecting the history and what went before. The original artists / labels put everyting out on the formats available at the time so think we should show some respect and preserve the originals. Try reaching back rather than waiting for everything to be manufactured for you!

I get what you lot are saying, but from marketing point of view it's all just plain nonsense. Instead of possible benefit for both labels and producers responsible they can only watch people stealing the music or pass it on over discogs, neither of those meaning any profit for them.
And even marketing aside, music (as any other form of art in general) should be accessible for anyone and kept for everyone. Vinyls will become worn out in the years incoming and it would be a huge shame to lose some of those tunes forever or keeping them only in the form of vinyl rips. You should feel special about actually having those vinyls and cherish it rather than frowning upon the idea it might come out in digital.

Some awful hilarious arguments in here..

Kleercut-kleenex.jpg

the rolling stones once wrote "you can't always get what you want"

ron burgandy had never heard that song

I get what you lot are saying, but from marketing point of view it's all just plain nonsense. Instead of possible benefit for both labels and producers responsible they can only watch people stealing the music or pass it on over discogs, neither of those meaning any profit for them.
And even marketing aside, music (as any other form of art in general) should be accessible for anyone and kept for everyone. Vinyls will become worn out in the years incoming and it would be a huge shame to lose some of those tunes forever or keeping them only in the form of vinyl rips. You should feel special about actually having those vinyls and cherish it rather than frowning upon the idea it might come out in digital.

Never really understood this argument.

Stating the obvious here but Discogs is your best bet for old stuff, and maybe hard to find records but it'll be vinyl.

Some of these old tracks are probably not around anymore due to dats being lost and what not and can only be found on vinyl.

Last edited:
You should feel special about actually having those vinyls and cherish it rather than frowning upon the idea it might come out in digital.

I do cherish every record I have.
This is just a small pro from having vinyl. Think of all the tunes that get digital only releases? We suffer from that side...

the rolling stones once wrote "you can't always get what you want"

ron burgandy had never heard that song

LOL.

Back
Top Bottom