How come anything I record into audacity sounds terrible?

Goosey_J

IGNORE ME
VIP Junglist
So I've been trying to configure audacity the last few days and I've hit a bit of a brick wall. Whatever I record, when played back, sounds awful. The sound sounds really distorted, grainy and well, shit. I've tried playing around with the input volume to no avail, it just changes how loud or quiet the shit sound is.

Anyone able to talk me through how I might fix this? Thanks.

audio interface will solve the problem, same thing i had mate, unless you've already got 1??

What kind of mixer do you have? I used to have and old shitty Numark and everything I recorded sounded shit. But recently I upgraded to and Allen & Heath and it's made a world of difference. I know that's a really expensive fix my that's two cents and something to think about.

Forgive my ignorance but what is an audio interface?

BEHRINGER+UCA202+U+CONTROL+USB+AUDIO+INTERFACE.JPG

You shouldn't need an audio interface if you're set up right. I've got one but only because the AD converter on my laptops on board card wasn't good enough to stream to the internet live. Just recording should be fine with an onboard card.

I've figured out that it's the bass that sounds shit and distorted. it sounds absolutely fine when the bass drops out of a tune, but the second the bass is involved, bam, shit grainy distortion. I'm recording through an Allen and Heath Xone 42 with brand new cables. Is it something to do with the settings in Audacity?

I can't get it to stop red lighting, even when the input volume is way down.Always sounds gash.
This is the problem here, the input at the computer is clipping, on screen your wav file probably is straight at the top and bottom when it sound shit ? You say the input is right down in audacity or in the 'mixer' of your operating system ? Are you sure you line in is not a mic in ?

This is the problem here, the input at the computer is clipping, on screen your wav file probably is straight at the top and bottom when it sound shit ? You say the input is right down in audacity or in the 'mixer' of your operating system ? Are you sure you line in is not a mic in ?

Ugh, I'm a fucking spastic. Yeah it is a Mic in. Which colour socket is the line in? I got Green (audio output), red (mic), blue (?) orange (?) black (?) and grey (?)

Back
Top Bottom