How can my weekly survive?

Discussion in 'Waffle' started by middleWave, Jun 24, 2014.

1. middleWave

middleWave New Member

Howdy. I'm based in Shenzhen, China (across the border from HK), and the market is entirely different here. I've been throwing monthly parties for the past six years (mostly dnb) and with some extra free time have decided to take a stab at a weekly night.

The name/concept is Muzik Box, thus we are open to all kinds of music. Started with dnb, went into 80s, followed by reggae, next up is a house night. So far we are off to a good start - i have a good team, given them shares, have a lovely venue, and good stream of local/regional headliners. Averaging about 100 punters a night with a nominal door fee of $5 (which is very unusual in this city).

3 weeks in, we're off to a good start, but's a bit stressful and I'm worried about burning myself out, losing the steady stream of punters...but I would like to make this last. It's paying my rent/bills for now, so I am approaching it like a business and hoping to be sustainable.

Any tips on running a successful weekly?

Thanks!

2. Kobi

Kobi Member

I'm living in Taiyuan atm, hopefully will visit Shenzhen next year

3. $marty

$marty Dexcell Staff Member

Running weekly nights is usually a recipe for running your night into the ground. Things tend to get stale very quickly, i'm afraid.
    Are you booking any named DJ's at all?

4. Gloxxy

Gloxxy I SNORT COAL

If you want advice on a weekly night you need to talk to this guy > https://www.facebook.com/richard.reason

He's been running a weekly night in Manchester called Hit'n'Run for years and years.

I'm sure you'll find his advice invaluable!

5. Forau

Forau CONCUSSION RECS

Yeah weekly seems like a death sentance to be honest. 100 punters isnt bad though.

6. Eternaloptimist

Eternaloptimist Active Member

flyers, posters, online presence (fb,website etc), get a photographer for your nights, hit all the backpackers and be friends with staff. they will probably recommend your night when thez a bunch of tourists looking to have a bit of fun. make mix cds(nice cover etc) and distribute to clothing shops frequented by youngsters, coffee shops etc. If there is a uni nearby, try and get your mix on the station.

7. Gloxxy

Gloxxy I SNORT COAL

A steady influx of students every year makes for a good way to keep your weekly going too.

8. logikz

logikz I Am Not The King Staff Member

smoke herb like a hippie, drink like a pirate, wrist real icey, haters dont like it. grind like hell if youre short on your cheese, get quick with the scales. OH YEAH

9. middleWave

middleWave New Member

I can see it running into the ground if I was doing the same music over and over (except for maybe house/techno). But as it is, I'm doing everything under the sun. So far: dnb, 80s, reggae, next up is house/techno. In the month to come we will have live rock, hip hop, more dnb, and whatever else is good. I am booking regional "named DJs" but nobody really major/international yet. Waiting to build up the crowd before I raise ticket prices for a real act. I am actively avoiding booking the local circle of DJs who everybody already knows, instead going for fresh regional talent from across the border in HK, and unknown producers found here and there.

- - - Updated - - -

Good call, I will try to get on the local uni, however this is China and uni students don't party like we do here. But still a good call to get them involved. Trying to put together a night of local uni producers.

- - - Updated - - -

great advice. i will try to get on the mix cd thing soon. i am recording all the headline sets and they are already being broadcast on the local internet radio station (the only one). def gotta hit up all the local hipster clothing and coffee shops.

10. RUSSLA

RUSSLA DNBF Monarch

Sounds like everyones given decent comments. Might be a long shot but find out about taxi advertising, inside the car of course. Might be the wrong demographic but worth a punt if it's cheap enough.

Also, I work in China lots and would love to come play for you! :)