How can I make the original reese bass?

3rd degree

Easy all. First post here.

Might be a bit of a noob question, but then I'm fairly new to production. I'm wondering how to make the original reese bass that's used in 'Terrorist'. I've sampled it from 'Just Want Another Chance' but I'd really like to be able to make it myself.

I've seen a short tutorial video of Subfocus talking through how he did it with Massive. I tried to recreate it with Thor (I only use Reason at the moment) but just couldn't get the same results.

Anyone got any advice for me? I'll love you long time.

Last edited:
in thor create a couple of analog oscillators - set them to square wave or saw wave.
detune them all a bit.
thats pretty much the basic reece
try you tube - search "reason tutorial reece" there are loads.
good luck.

in thor create a couple of analog oscillators - set them to square wave or saw wave.
detune them all a bit.
thats pretty much the basic reece
try you tube - search "reason tutorial reece" there are loads.
good luck.

this ! I also use reason, and this is baisicaly how I would do it :)

Cheers for the replies guys. I know how to make that gritty sound that's generally referred to as a 'reese' nowadays, by detuning saw waves but that's not what I'm after. I want that really clean bass sound originally used in 'Just Want Another Chance' by Master Reese. Maybe I'm being dense, but I just can't seem to achieve that by detuning saw or square waves...

Pretty sure its detuned sine waves. There's a Sub Focus tutorial that shows you exactly how to make it in NI Massive if you've got it.

[video=vimeo;2053004]http://vimeo.com/2053004[/video]

Edit: Just read that you've seen this already! My bad...

somebody told me it's a sampled bass guitar run through a bin with a mic at the end for the chorus effect.
they might have been lieing though.

Back
Top Bottom