How can i make my bassline more 'agressive'

prettyherb

O I
VIP Junglist
Hi!

As the title says.

This bassline (first without, than with the sub) I'm trying to give it a more agressive feeling and make it sound bigger in the speaker.

Things i've done yet (NI massive) lfo at the cutoff filter and at the resonance. The same lfo at 'drive' button from the T-tube. Also i gave it a dimension expander. I'ts playing at -9 in the mixer, and the decay it fully opened in the envelope filter.

Any advice to improver it??

Grtz

Massive you say? Add scream filter, play with different oscillators and distortion.

Take that patch and open it up in 2 other instances of Massive. So you now have 3 Massives's with the same patch.

Set each Massive to a different channel in the mixer.

EQ them so one is high end, onle is mid, one is low. Put different effects on each one. Then bounce them down to a single audio file. Put this audio file on a USB stick and bury it in your garden for 3 nights. Retrieve the USB stick, take the audio file and put it into a sampler of some sort. EQ it more, distort it some more, then and only then will it be perfect.

Take that patch and open it up in 2 other instances of Massive. So you now have 3 Massives's with the same patch.

Set each Massive to a different channel in the mixer.

EQ them so one is high end, onle is mid, one is low. Put different effects on each one. Then bounce them down to a single audio file. Put this audio file on a USB stick and bury it in your garden for 3 nights. Retrieve the USB stick, take the audio file and put it into a sampler of some sort. EQ it more, distort it some more, then and only then will it be perfect.

3 Days (and nights) later! Damn, forgot where i buried that damn stick! Have to do it all over....

Thaha nice story. Tnx for the advice mate. Will try that sending to different channels!!

Hmm, try adding more voices, unison, in massive there is voicing tab if I'm right.

Image2.gif

sacrifice a goat in a ritual with your tribes juju man.

Notch sweep the midrange to make it talky, use a better tube dist plug than massive's effects, increase the high end volume, layer a sub... actually a thing i would really recommend is putting a reverb on the end of your fx chain in your DAW with the mix at say 30%, and a tail of 0.4 seconds - I find it makes the bline sound alot 'bigger'. Alot of these methods I used for the bass in this clip http://soundcloud.com/spyre/16-bars-of-something and there's plenty of other ways to get the sound you're after i'm sure :coffee:

robpapen.com/rp-distord.html
fabfilter.com/products/saturn.php
Cubase distortion
fabfilter.com/products/volcano.php

...listen to Noisia

Noisia is three nutters that are autistically into synthesizing.

---------- Post added at 14:19 ---------- Previous post was at 14:07 ----------

On a serious note, your example is "currently not available" but i find for basslines, play around with splitting the frequencies. I usually split my bass into three layers and have a completely separate sub bass. So on my mixer I've got an instance of 3xOsc running a sine with a little bit of square in it, low passed, for my subs, another instance of 3xOsc with a mix of saws and squares detuned and shit on first one channel which is bussed to three new channels which again are bussed to one channel. The first one I'll add some distortion, chorus and / or flanger to setting the mix levels to where it just makes the sound a bit more interesting and moving about like. The low end of my frequency split I usually don't mess around too much with I might throw in a little more distortion or something, the mids will usually get something done to them, more distortion, flangers, chorus, whatever, I find it a lot safer messing with the tops, throwing in all kinds of shit to add movement and semi randomness. Then, at the final buss where the three are mixed together I'll add a low pass filter, a high pass filter and reverb.

Still working on getting everything "right", to get that snarly cyber reese sound down and I'm trying to figure where to throw in filters and shit along the way to be able to play the music that's inside my head..

Noisia is three nutters that are autistically into synthesizing.

---------- Post added at 14:19 ---------- Previous post was at 14:07 ----------

On a serious note, your example is "currently not available" but i find for basslines, play around with splitting the frequencies. I usually split my bass into three layers and have a completely separate sub bass. So on my mixer I've got an instance of 3xOsc running a sine with a little bit of square in it, low passed, for my subs, another instance of 3xOsc with a mix of saws and squares detuned and shit on first one channel which is bussed to three new channels which again are bussed to one channel. The first one I'll add some distortion, chorus and / or flanger to setting the mix levels to where it just makes the sound a bit more interesting and moving about like. The low end of my frequency split I usually don't mess around too much with I might throw in a little more distortion or something, the mids will usually get something done to them, more distortion, flangers, chorus, whatever, I find it a lot safer messing with the tops, throwing in all kinds of shit to add movement and semi randomness. Then, at the final buss where the three are mixed together I'll add a low pass filter, a high pass filter and reverb.

Still working on getting everything "right", to get that snarly cyber reese sound down and I'm trying to figure where to throw in filters and shit along the way to be able to play the music that's inside my head..

check in my sig the track 'Kill -a - bean" it's that bassline i ment.

grtz

Back
Top Bottom