How can I make kicks and snares this punchy?

alaska

I've tried layering, boosting at 200 but am getting nothing close to this... Sounds like Vengeance 3 but am not sure. Please help as I'm really in the dark on drums.

Also the hat patterns at :44, any ideas? Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Side chaining, correct levels, surgical Eqing and parallel compression, transient shaping (shaack audio transient shaper is amazing), and most importantly good sample choice. Its all a matter of experimenting, I find making drums and breaks really easy, but struggle with bass.

Sent from mans Nokia 3310 using Tapatalk.

Side chaining, correct levels, surgical Eqing and parallel compression, transient shaping (shaack audio transient shaper is amazing), and most importantly good sample choice. Its all a matter of experimenting, I find making drums and breaks really easy, but struggle with bass.

You should be a bit more specific mate. Side chaning what to what?

You should be a bit more specific mate. Side chaning what to what?

The Bassline, lead, whatever the OP has going on his/her track, its not something I can really give an exact rule to do, its all about experimenting with what you have.

One tip I did leave out is to add a short pure sine note under a kick, such as the default patch in EXS24 or 3xOSC, literally make it nice and short and low in the note range (have to find the note that matches your kick) and then channel it, make mono and EQ so it is just in the sub range, I find this makes your kicks sound really punchy and adds a little low end to beef them up.

• Sometimes adding a small notch cut somewhere between 300 - 700Hz can add a bit of punch, sweep around a bit to see if you can find it.
  • Transient boosters can sometimes work. Native Instruments makes a nice transient shaper that I like to use from time to time.
  • Drop the kick and/or snare in a sampler and play with the pitch. Sometimes tuning them a bit higher (or lower) can do wonders.
  • If you have compressor(s) on either kick or snare, try easing up on the settings a bit...or completely removing them.
  • A little saturation can do wonders for having your kick or snare smash through the mix. Be wary on the kick though, too much can flatten the kick's energy.
  • If you find yourself still struggling, it may be worth considering finding a different sample to use.
Cheers.

There are loads of ways to do it but at the end of the day, it's all about getting your mix down right.

There are a thousand ways to skin a cat n all that...

The more space you create in the mix for your drums the more you can push them. Simples.
:)

Thanks, will give that transient shaper a try. Don't really understand what to sidechain though, would help a lot if you can clarify this.

sounds liek white noise..with reverb on the high end. Try using 909 snares, use all of the methods as above. Somepeople pitch up the kick to layer with the snare to add the familiar weight

a good compression is a way to get that . try june miller sample pack . you will find some very punchy kicks and snares.

dependent on ur daw but any decent synth should have a a simple white noise... in logic you can use es2 select the white noise, take everything off the matrix, all effects and movements so its a plain white noise, use the filters, drive and resonance to taste and obviously the envolopes should be leveled and then just draw in a bar midi, bounce and cut the the middle bit where there wud be no attack and decay and BOOOM LIKE A FUCKING BOAWSSSS you got a white noise

a good compression is a way to get that . try june miller sample pack . you will find some very punchy kicks and snares.

For real, just get a nice thick sample which already sounds nearly there and use a compressor and maybe a little bit of drive on it.

Back
Top Bottom