How can a sub sound completely like shit?

quit ya moanin and get it done :P just get some ice cream and some pain killers...

l8ers ron

Thanks, I'll give that a shot when I get home. I've quickly switched to sylinth and samples for my sub when I couldn't get massive to play as nice as I wanted. Would be nice to use massive though.... I know it's a "played out" synth for a lotta people, but I still love it. No matter were software synths go in the future, a part of me will always love massive.

the thing is, other than room treatment or poor frequency response in your monitors/headphones, a pure sinus sub cant actually sound that bad. if you use a vsti like massive for sub and only sub, and that sounds crap, then why not just loop a sinus waveform in your sampler or get some loop points at the end of an 808 and simply volume duck it on the kick.

its a different kind of solution, a change of approach. i often find that even under lowpassed saws (which is > than pure sin, but can have trouble hitting certain notes) you might need pure sinus

808 is the classic sub, cant go wrong! ....well actually you can, but i think you have to try quite hard :D

sinus waveform *snigger*

I use headphones 99% of the time because my room has shitty acoustics + I live in a flat and mostly make music at night.

if the sub sounds ok on headphones, and the spectral analyser is showing everything to be balanced and smooth, then the problem is almost certainly the room acoustic fucking the sub, rather than the sub itself....well probably anyways, reference it on as many different speaker setups as you can, a big rig/sound system would be the most useful probably, but of course if you are unsure, then don't play it mid set lol

Back
Top Bottom