How are Dubs sent around?

hazard135§

Just wandering how dubs are sent round from producer to producer......is it like ill give u mine if u give me yours? or does every producer just get sent new dubs on a daily basis? also wt format they in....im guessin its mp3 and then the DJ gets it cut them selves......but ye i guess this is mainly aimed at the pro DJ's on the forum unless any1 has some insider info....

safe

Tunes used to get sent out to various/chosen DJ's from the producer who made it on DAT tape's (in the olden days early 90's LOL) and/or MP3's via AIM for the DJ's to then get a Dub Plate of said tune, or they get given out on CD when out and about on road.
Now the tunes can just get burned to CD and a trip to a cutting house isn't needed as much (CD's last longer anyway as plates have a limted shelf life as the more it gets played the more the quality of the vinyl decreases).

As far as i know they are given to the DJ's for free by the producers. The more DJ's playing your choons the more popular it will become & make you more money with the full release.
True Playaz used to have an offer (They might still i'm not sure) where you pay a certain amount of money monthly or yearly & they send you all the dubs released.

True Playaz used to have an offer (They might still i'm not sure) where you pay a certain amount of money monthly or yearly & they send you all the dubs released.

I'm sure that was just for Promo's/white labels wasn't it, Ram do the same thing now.

I'm pretty sure Playaz wouldn't send Dubs out to Tom Dick and Harry even if they did pay.

Last edited:
Just wandering how dubs are sent round from producer to producer......is it like ill give u mine if u give me yours? or does every producer just get sent new dubs on a daily basis? also wt format they in....im guessin its mp3 and then the DJ gets it cut them selves......but ye i guess this is mainly aimed at the pro DJ's on the forum unless any1 has some insider info....

safe

like swopsies of football stickers in the playground .. o no u have a badge thats worth 2 of your dubs for your 1 badge ....

with the net being like it is ,and now if your not netwise you will struggle , tunes are sent via aim quickier than you or i could press our enter buttons ... not all tunes are but alot are from unknowns to knowns ... with more n more people making music "alot" of main players get sent far to much , so much theres not enough time in the day because they work running labels,djing and working on there own stuff ...

it used to be music house , a place where u could drop off or meet djs and they would cut dubs ,... and pay for them themselves i might add , not always but big%of the time they would ....

then if you were lucky as i was back in the early 90s when i was djing .. i used to get sent records 6 months inadvance to play on the radio , i had to do homework for them though,shit isnt easy ,i had to fax reaction sheets back on every tune ... so these free records still cost me ,time and fax sending £££

then when you have learnt how to network your get in with "the people" making the music and via friendships built your get toons .. its that simple ....

other ways is that of sites that rips of dubs get placed on and its a free for all ??? silly as your not permissioned to have it so if your an up n comin dj playing out and usin ripped dubs u wont gain respect and if anything damage your chances of playing out if found out ...

Full Cycle used to do a subcription thing like Ram do now.

i would have loved to been on that (y)

It all depends on who your friends with really.... Bigger names will only really give you their tracks if they know you enough tht you wont give them out...

I'm pretty sure Playaz wouldn't send Dubs out to Tom Dick and Harry even if they did pay.

haha yeah it would have definately a promo subscription list. Full Cycle used to do one aswell. I believe Technique and Grid still offer a promo subscription service.

AIM File transfer or the master is sometimes left with the engineer @ the cutting house and the plates are cut and either picked up or posted out. The best files to send are WAV files as MP3's are compressed and you lose some of the tune dynamics.

Generally certain producers exchange tunes with one another - unless your Andy C and he gets pretty much everything sent to him over AIM daily because everyone wants him to drop their tunes in his sets! He cuts sometimes 16 new dublates per week!

There's this whole myth about aim being the dnb scenes communication method of choice. The real headz know it's all about sending stuff round via carrier pigeon.

I can vouch for the fact that Hype has a barn full of highly trained pigeons.

There's this whole myth about aim being the dnb scenes communication method of choice. The real headz know it's all about sending stuff round via carrier pigeon.

Sweet. Fancy sending one of yours over my way with a Heavan and hell VIP attatched. :teeth:

AIM File transfer or the master is sometimes left with the engineer @ the cutting house and the plates are cut and either picked up or posted out. The best files to send are WAV files as MP3's are compressed and you lose some of the tune dynamics.

Generally certain producers exchange tunes with one another - unless your Andy C and he gets pretty much everything sent to him over AIM daily because everyone wants him to drop their tunes in his sets! He cuts sometimes 16 new dublates per week!
So this must cost him a fortune then? I suppose he can afford it though but it shows why digital djing has become so popular.

:lol:

Back
Top Bottom