How 2 get my foot in the door

Discussion in 'Drum & Bass' started by $marty, Jun 25, 2004.

1. $marty

$marty Dexcell Staff Member

easy all my forum massive. i am a aspiring dj and i have only just recently really got good at mixing and i would like to ask the all important question How do i get recognised? ? ?
    if someone can point my head in the right direction it would be much apprecciated.
    cheers guys,
    $marty B

2. moriaty

moriaty Active Member

Wow.!

Dont know how much youre involved in dnb pal, but basicly the fastest way to get recognised is through music production. Always talking about dnb, if you have a look at producer names in record shops, and then look at events line ups, youll see that the names are more or less similar.
    Really, there are very few people that made it in dnb only by mixing. Cant think of any other than Bailey right now.
    Now, you as a dj, the best thing you can do is record mixes, post them on boards like here or/and send them to event promoters around your area.
    Another thing you should look up, is to hook up with some producers, who can supply you with unreleased tunes, something which promoters take notice off, since dubs go well with punters.
    Best of luck,
    and dude, never, ever, take up advice of the
    <people dont like these tunes> kind. If you like the shit you play, you should be able to make a good set out of it.

It aint what you play, is how you play it....
    (y):teeth:

3. Hago

Hago Global Virus DnB

All of the above and maybe even try and start your own night...See how it goes ,bring in the guests and start developing your name and the clubs name,even organise swaps with other nights around your area.where youll be able to play at their club and them at yours.

4. D BREAKNECK

D BREAKNECK 7 years on top

That's what I was gonna say...

Also play out as much as you can for the experience, wherever, try the free party / squat party sound systems and house parties.

5. moriaty

moriaty Active Member

Correct.
    Apart from beeing quite easy to get a place at a free party, its great practice too.
    Thats coz usually the soundsystems one finds at squats, have relatively poor quality mids an tops
    (loadsa bass tho (y) ).
    Add to that the echoing effect a huge warehouse has to the sound, and you get my drift. If you can pull a decent set in those conditions, a normal club enviroment should be cake.
    (yn)

6. DJ Lordward

DJ Lordward T.D.P.

good advice there gordo :2thumbs:

7. $marty

$marty Dexcell Staff Member

cheers guys. So do u lot all dj or are you in it for the music?

8. moriaty

moriaty Active Member

if by that you mean beeing a dj for living, then no. just for the music :D

9. sparkyc10

sparkyc10 Kentish Junglist

im in it for the music. its pretty much my only huge hobby. but what i lack in number of hobbys i make up for in dedication and love for this one! takin my interests further next year by taking a propa course in DJ Technology worth 2 a levels. id advise doin this if uv got the time to study it. if you can get accepted onto a course like this the chances are ul hav great lecturers whov been in the scene and and can help u get work as well as teach u how to improve ur skills and get into production (which someone quite rightly said is probably essential). if ur still in school and wanderin about what studys to do next year or the year after, definitly consider this. be careful of shitty 'be a dj in 6 weeks' courses if u do try it tho. theyl waste u time and ur money.

10. Serum

Serum Well-Known Member

It's a hard one getting recognised as a DJ, notice how it's the same big names that have been there since day 1. Learning to produce will give you a bit of an edge and getting in with people that run nights and so on. You have to be in it for the music really and not the profits as there's not a lot of dollars round at the moment but keep at it and make sure you're in the right place at the right time