Hot drum/break tip

kama

benkama.net
VIP Junglist
If you use breaks, it's easy to go over with the texture of the beats and find your tune too full. If you want to retain some originality and more 'space' in the beat, group the snare and kick together on the same channel and sidechain the break to that channel so that whenever the kick or snare comes in, the break will go down a few decibels. This way you still keep the breaky sound in between bigger hits, especially with splashy cymbal-filled breaks like tighten up or the amen, but you can have a much more personal sound with the kick and snare taking over most of the beatworking. The main hits also get much more perceived power when they dont have as much stuff around them.

Attachments

• Ye Olde_EIMEN..mp3
    228.6 KB · Views: 45
  • Ye Olde_unchained.mp3
    228.6 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Another one. This technique doesnt sound good everywhere but if you have breaks that have a very rich timbre it's a nice way to play with it.

Attachments

• BEATBOX_unchained&#46.mp3
    217.4 KB · Views: 41
  • BEATBOXA..mp3
    217.4 KB · Views: 43
aye Sidechains are the bollox for groove :gpeace:

sidechaning hi-hats/snares/kicks/stabs/etc to anything/everything else can help too, try grouping the entire track except the kick and slamming a sidechain across the whole thing with the kick, pants will be wet :lickface: if its done right

i've been doing this on my last few tracks - it's awesome. a lot of the time, you can avoid wasting time cutting out the kicks and snares of the break...

If you use breaks, it's easy to go over with the texture of the beats and find your tune too full. If you want to retain some originality and more 'space' in the beat, group the snare and kick together on the same channel and sidechain the break to that channel so that whenever the kick or snare comes in, the break will go down a few decibels. This way you still keep the breaky sound in between bigger hits, especially with splashy cymbal-filled breaks like tighten up or the amen, but you can have a much more personal sound with the kick and snare taking over most of the beatworking. The main hits also get much more perceived power when they dont have as much stuff around them.

woah, woah woahhhh. I dreamt about this before and wrote it down and didn't think about it much. I feel so fucking cool

---------- Post added at 12:15 ---------- Previous post was at 12:15 ----------

(yeah I produce in my dreams lucidly.)

here's another tip for you, put a 1-2 sec verb on your hats and then sidechain the reverb to you kicks and snares and it will sound delicious.

here's another tip for you, put a 1-2 sec verb on your hats and then sidechain the reverb to you kicks and snares and it will sound delicious.

wait what the fuck. EXPERIMENTING WITH YOUR DRUMS?

(I'm writing your tip down)

Back
Top Bottom