Hospital Records, KMAG Label of the month

"Hospital is now 14 years old, and its maturity seems to reflect the maturity of the wider drum & bass scene. Chris happily admits that "95%" of Hospital's output is drum & bass. Despite the tendency of the mainstream press to claim the genre is dead or dying, the music is as strong and healthy as ever."

Too fuckin right it is.

Over time, a recognisable 'Hospital sound' developed. The label's tracks tend to have strong melodies and vocals, and feature rich samples and live instruments. Many of the early tunes owe a lot to Chris and Tony's background in acid jazz and sound quite different to the gritty jungle that came out of labels such as Metalheadz around the same period. However, Chris insists the music is also tough and powerful.

"We like to release things that have soul, that have warmth," says Chris, "but by that I don't mean they have to have trumpets in them and girls doing backing vocals. Soul music for me can be extremely lush and quite light; it can also be hard as nails."

Chris likes the term 'fast soul' to describe Hospital's catalogue, disdaining the more popular 'liquid funk'. Even worse, in his eyes, is the phrase 'jazzy drum & bass'. As Hospital has developed, he says, as has the sound – and he's right.

Hospital used to have a sound. Now it seems to be focused on releasing average liquid tracks. Please return to the glory days

Over time, a recognisable 'Hospital sound' developed. The label's tracks tend to have strong melodies and vocals, and feature rich samples and live instruments. Many of the early tunes owe a lot to Chris and Tony's background in acid jazz and sound quite different to the gritty jungle that came out of labels such as Metalheadz around the same period. However, Chris insists the music is also tough and powerful.

"We like to release things that have soul, that have warmth," says Chris, "but by that I don't mean they have to have trumpets in them and girls doing backing vocals. Soul music for me can be extremely lush and quite light; it can also be hard as nails."

Chris likes the term 'fast soul' to describe Hospital's catalogue, disdaining the more popular 'liquid funk'. Even worse, in his eyes, is the phrase 'jazzy drum & bass'. As Hospital has developed, he says, as has the sound – and he's right.

Hospital used to have a sound. Now it seems to be focused on releasing average liquid tracks. Please return to the glory days

What for you is the last track that they released from the 'Glory days'?

Back
Top Bottom