Home studio improvements.

Brex

The house guy
VIP Junglist
Best way to spend a 100ish quid? I'm happy with my monitors, whilst they are far from the best, or even adequate, I know them well after 8 years of use. They're positioned well and dampened to avoid reverberation on the desk. I'm using the onboard sound from my PC. I can't do soundproofing due the fact it's the frontroom, full of odd shapes and corners, rented and my missus will 100% put her foot down about having sound insulation blocks on the walls. Would a semi-decent audio interface be the best option? Or a dedicated soundcard? Don't need XLR, only phono. Anything else?

Yeah I would get an interface if i was in your shoes. If you cant sound proof and you have limited funds there isnt really a lot you can do, maybe put the speakers on isolation stands/pads if they arnt already, if there on stands then dont have to. What cans are you using?

Cheers for the help guys.

Yeah I would get an interface if i was in your shoes. If you cant sound proof and you have limited funds there isnt really a lot you can do, maybe put the speakers on isolation stands/pads if they arnt already, if there on stands then dont have to. What cans are you using?

They've currently only got little insulation pads on the bottom. I don't have room for stands. The house is mega tiny and I'm fairly cramped up. Isolation pads are a good idea. Headphones, nothing fancy, just some Marley headphones. I've had them for a couple years and whilst they're pretty average, I know how mixes translate to them. Worth investing in some ATH50s or something similar?

Was guna say for 100 quid you might as well get some stands, definitely will help a bit

https://www.musicmatter.co.uk/isoacoustics-iso-l8r130-pair?gclid=CLPBwPCB8coCFUa4GwodU6ADnw

No room. I live in a hobbit house and everything is squeezed in.

are you just using your headphone out atm then?

Yeah. Into the aux in on the front of my monitors. Something that outputs phono would be better. This perhaps? Link

Get a Focusrite saffire interface.

Pro 14? Outputs don't match my speaker inputs. I'm guessing I could use adapters?

I was talking bout desk stands btw, not floor stand, check the link. But its seems you already have them isolated so grab some ATH-M50x maybs. Ive got em and fooking love em!

I'd suggest the Beyer's DT880 Pro. I love those cans, very flat response. The thing is that they're semi-open, so basicalliy you'd have to use them in a very, very quiet place.

Can't go wrong with Focusrite audio interfaces for the price... Maybe grab a sub woofer if you don't have one already as well. Good luck with your search and let us know what you end up grabbing!

Back
Top Bottom