'Hipstep'

Dustek

Finished the PhD
VIP Junglist
I found this on wiki today:

"Hipstep is a musical genre which fuses the sounds of electronic Drum and Bass with beats, rhymes, samples, and mixing techniques from Hip hop music."

Never heard of this 'subgenre' and if somebody has thought it up, then they are idiots - jungle/dnb has always fused beat, rhymes, samples and mixing from hh.

Hipstep is a US Jungle phrase... Dem katz at Concrete Jungle go on about it...

Last edited:
Somebody should tell Dj Hype that he's nicking his mixing style from hipster cats.

I also guess that all the Urban Shakedown artists have been ripping off those hipster innovators.

Those hipster djs should sue every old school jungle artist for using amens, which are also found in hiphop.

I'm pissed off now - dnb/jungle has very strong influences from the same sources as hiphop and hiphop & dnb influence each other all the time.

I don't know when this fragging phrase appeared but its an insult to every type of dnb I know as well as most djs and producers.

Last edited:
Dustek... You are gonna get a whole load of phrases that try to explain the sub-genres [ I hate that word ] of dnb that actually insult dnb...

As long as you love the dnb sh@t and you look vexed when you listen to da beats but you are happy - nothing else matters...

hipstep falls in line with f-step, horrorstep, sickstep and all other internet fadstep classifications theres been so far. wankstep comes to mind, or progresssive ballbag skiffle shandyclap tapstep, which is so hot right now.

hipstep falls in line with f-step, horrorstep, sickstep and all other internet fadstep classifications theres been so far. wankstep comes to mind, or progresssive ballbag skiffle shandyclap tapstep, which is so hot right now.

:lol:

Packman

Fartstep is satrting to apear aswell

check out nightwalker - promos part 2 if u aint heard ant yet

Any genre that is a word with 'step' on the end is usually something made up.

i disagree, im fine with jazzstep, hardstep, darkstep and so forth. seems like perfectly viable classifications to me. wasnt before darkcore and after neuro (with intelligent somewhere in between) that people stopped it with the steps

"Hip is the vibe, step is the movement"

Hipstep is a NYC thing... dj's like I-Cue & Odi & MC TC Izlam coined it...

the wikipedia explanation is shite. of course Jungle has always had Hiphop elements... but from a NYC perspective, we take it a step further, and for us Jungle IS Hiphop... of course that can be argued to no end, abstract semantics...

but Hipstep is a growth of the Zulu Nation, an acknowledgement that weve been doin electronic dance music with breakbeats since 197X here in NYC, and that Jungle for us, is part of that legacy...

its a style of approaching the music from a Hiphop state of mind... something thats only natural for us to do in NYC... and not only do the beats made contain elements, but the styles of Djing & MCin are def imho distinctly Hipstep...

no need to worry about it, it just is what it is... and when in NYC, stop by Konkrete Jungle and enjoy with...

:)

one
human?

bowdown.gif

Whilst I is increasingly against all these sub-genres (and fanboyism of one against t'others), I can see where SurvivalNYC is coming from.

If a DJ / artist / producer whatever wants to consciously interpret / reinterpret a style from a certain angle, why not?

I think Mickey Finn & Aphrodite have 10 years drop on them.

Obviously, but each generation can rediscover and be influenced by, and attempt to progress it. Whether they do or not is a diff story.

I do agree that hipstep is a slightly unfortunate name, sounds like an unpopular Jazz dance style from yesteryear...

Thugstep's sounds more like a real genre.

Well, at least that one hot mix that posted a while ago did...

Anyway, surely Adam F covered most of the bases on his 2 albums, which I really like but can't remember what they called right now. The ones with 'Stand Clear' etc on...

Back
Top Bottom