Hiphop heads... (London)

Discussion in 'Waffle' started by D BREAKNECK, Apr 19, 2006.

1. D BREAKNECK

D BREAKNECK 7 years on top

I went to a night called Speakers Corner @ Jamm in Brixton. It's on the 1st Thurs every month, and it is quality, but it's exciting too, and raises lots of issues. It's seriously one of the best nights I've ever been to, and almost definitely the best hiphop night...

(www.speakerscornerlive.com)

1st. It's free to enter, everyone plays for free, and it is busy (like 800 people!)

2nd. They have MCs and DJs doing sets of their own tracks, 30 mins max, very varied, but all good.

3rd. They do Conscious hiphop, which matters, specially in Brixton, but it's good to hear people talking about issues, not bling shite.

4th. They have open mic sessions (with original beats by underground producers).

5th.They have a dancehall 2nd room.

6th. They give space to local acts and community campaigns.

7th. They give space to Graff artists to exhibit.

Seeing what they do, really makes you think...Quality music. Free entry, people coming together for a positive cause.

It's also very original hiphop, people doing summat for their community, not for sales, bling or beef...

Seriously, anyone in London or into hiphop should check it.

2. D BREAKNECK

3. sdm

sdm This is Dog Fort

Shame I don't live in London :-/

4. D BREAKNECK

I tell ya...

I think cos everyone's doin it for free, and entrance is free, there's a unique atmosphere.

Nice venue too, and Speakers Corner have their own sound system, clean and booming as you like, nice change from most headline name hiphop gigs on crap systems in mainstream venues...

I love it and can't wait!