Hiphop & dnb

Discussion in 'Waffle' started by Dustek, Jul 21, 2006.

1. Dustek

Dustek Finished the PhD

I ended up reading an interview with Photek today (don't ask why) and it basically summed up my approach to dnb and hiphop. Interview here.

There is a massive crossover between hiphop and dnb that isn't truly appreciated by the audiences of both scenes (and I'm not talking about the dnbforum regulars).

Most old skool dnb producers that I've read interviews with state quite simply that they were mostly influenced by hiphop, worked their way into rave and then started producing jungle/dnb.

And to be honest, dnb at its most basic is hiphop x 2. Bassline + funk beats at a double speed. Even at the neurofunk, headz extreme. Proof - Bear Witness, Ray Keith turning Jump Around into a floor killing minimalistic dnb massacre.

Returning to my beginning statement, I mostly cruise around town in my car listening to gfunk and old skool hiphop (can't stand r&b tainted tracks), then switch to dnb at home. Chills me out the same.

Drop a ragga track to a hiphop head that hasn't heard somebody like Spyda or Tenor Fly flow over 170 bpm and they will be in shock at the lyrical and melodic possibilites in an insanely fast track (and dnb is basically insanely fast, nobody can dance at 170 bpm).

And a true head will always end up chilling out with a Cypress Hill or Jurassic 5 track at 7 pm on the beach with a bacardi & coke.

2. mesh

mesh Active Member

listening to EPMD-Strictly Business right now. I generally agree, well thats how it happened for me anyway, but we are old fuckers now man.
    One of the first uses of the raw, un-fucked-with Amen break I'm aware of was Straight Outta Compton -1988-, beats by Dr Dre.

3. Fes Rock

Fes Rock Nothing..........

I agree with you totally [old school hip hop]
    anything with a solid breakbeat

Thats what got me into Dnb. Now theres so much to attract people to the vast genre that is DNB.:|

Kinda reminds me of what happened to hip-hop in a sence

although I find myself downloading old disco/electro/one hit wonders as of late.:teeth:

:carlton:

4. Indi

Indi Tha Original ThreadKilla!

To quote Photek - "Drum N Bass, to me, is basically music for white kids who like hiphop and go to raves."

5. mesh

mesh Active Member

you rang?

6. D BREAKNECK

D BREAKNECK 7 years on top

Forever(yn)

Always been into both.

Always loved old Hype / Jungle / Jump up wid Cypress Hill and stuff sampled and listening to WU and then Photek, using similar kung Fuey squishes (to get all technical..

Love Goldie & Krs-1 Digital which hits both buttons...

And Busta Rhymes Woo Ha! Wid the DnB mixes...Best trax he's ever been on (possibly).

"Got that head nod shit make you BREAK your NECK/
    Woo Ha! Got ya all in check"

Everyone should go and listen to Nas - NY State of Mind (on Illmatic) for proper broody slow b-lines...

& Public Enenmy - Nation Of Millions - Insane heaviness from 1988, pushing what hiphop could be, and still silly fresh... I hadn't heard the whole album til quite recently, it's like a frickin library of world's best samples....

Last edited: Jul 29, 2006
  7. Flatmatt

Flatmatt Member

Hip hop totally got me into DnB. i started off listening to J5, Mark B & Blade and the Stereo MC's, stuff like that. i listening to DnB by accident, i'd heard some stuff by Doug-e-fresh and saw one of the Moving Shadow CD's with his name on the cover and the rest is history....

:hype: