HIP HOP/BREAKS/DNB MIXED TOGETHER!

lokki

JUNGLIST FROM DEYA
VIP Junglist
since improving my scratching skills (yes no money and too much time = better skills!) ad have now mastered (ahem) nthe mighty crab scratch, sudently the world has opened up and my sets now incoporate everything from hip hop to dnb! I have found a new love for my rekkids and am busy constructing a set witch switches from dnb to breaks to hip hop with ease!

the secret is tune selection, a skill witch is not that common in dnb. (sorry).

Fare enough a few tunes are blends witrh no beats but ther are some wicked moments when tunes beats blend together especially on hip hop to dnb!

top 5 tunes for mixing into hip hop include....

warhead any remix
hey DJ
snapshot
(basically any fuill cycle-esque stuff)
planet dust!!! (yes try it)
snowcats

YEAH!

but i only got it on tape. I am getting some proper recording equipment soon so will upload it then.

also i will include a track which hasnt been released yet...i cant say anymore!

any dnb that has a break change at the beginning or end, off the top of my head:
ram trilogy - superfly
fresh - submarines (pendulum remix)
dj kalm and citizen - mirage

mixin that lot together is hard! iv had a bit of a go tryin to incorporate some classic hip hop into sets. hard work tho. wud really like to hear a decent mix like that :2thumbs:

its hard man, and you have to but a shit load of tunes, learn em all well and know every likkle bit, especially with hip hop cos of the lyrics etc.

I neeed to make clear that not all tunes are beat mixed but dropped hip hop style. Still work s tho.

Been mixing up straight outa compton with signal..

When signal stops and it goes'watch this space' i drop staright outa compton and it sounds wikkid. would love to test this out publicly.

its all about being creative and havibng a good level of scratchin skills help as well!

Sounds good! Looking forward to hearing some mixes from you!

You can transition from most dnb records into breaks tempo by turning off the turntable, letting it wind down a little, then turning it back on and hitting the start button again (playing it at 33 instead of 45).

You can also do this to get from breaks tempo into standard 100-110bpm hip hop tempo.

It's those upward transitions that you need to be more clever about though ... and have some good records in your arsenal to help you!

greg j said:
Sounds good! Looking forward to hearing some mixes from you!

You can transition from most dnb records into breaks tempo by turning off the turntable, letting it wind down a little, then turning it back on and hitting the start button again (playing it at 33 instead of 45).

You can also do this to get from breaks tempo into standard 100-110bpm hip hop tempo.

It's those upward transitions that you need to be more clever about though ... and have some good records in your arsenal to help you!

its hard to do good though!

I played a breaks/dnb/and hip hop set recently at Vanilla bar Portsmouth...went down well..peeps were loving it!

Crossing genres is always wicked in my opinion...when everyone expects the next track to be dnb, but instead is a hip hop classic, it tends to keep everyone interested in the set and keep em moving on the dancefloor.

Although I don't mix breaks w/dnb I love to blend hip hop in when I can...I don't like to do it over anthems or amen smashers, but with jump-up or liquidfunk tracks it works pretty well. I like buying 12" hip hop singles that have the instrumental and acapella versions of the songs as well, that way I can "tease" an instrumental over a dnb track, or drop an acapella in, or just straight mix out with the main mix of the hip hop song. With a combination of acapellas/instrumentals/vocal mixes, there are so many possibilities!!

Definately agree with knowing your tracks though, especially since there are many different styles of hip hop and a huge variety in bpm's from record to record.

Yo Lokki big ups on learning the crabs! Man I just can't get that "flick" with my right hand fingers to work no matter how I try! Must keep practicing....

Back
Top Bottom