HighHats!! Help Needed!!

Do0Bs

Fo Shizzle Dizzle
Hey guys,

I'm new to production so please bear with me if my explanations don't make any sense.

I've been try sort out the highhat patterns on a beat ive made in Reason but cant seem to get it right.

I'm trying to get something similar to these:-

Commix - Broken Man

Icicle & Noisia - Driftwood

The nearest pattern I can get is:-

1 5 7 9 13 over a 16 part bar (if that makes any sense???)

But it just doesn't seem to sound right.

Any advice?

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think it's just one kind of hi hat, its multiple kinds layered on top of each other.
The 2nd one is some hats between the snares doing something a little like this:
Kick: 0 - - - - - - - - 0 - - - - - -
Snare:- - - 0 - - - - - - - 0 - - - -
Hat 1: 0 - 0 - 0 - 0 - 0 - 0 - 0 - 0 -
Hat 2: - - - - - - 0 - 0 - - - - - - -
Hat 3: - - - - - - - 0 - 0 - - - - - -

Sometimes a snare is used for hat 2 or 3, but it sounds like just hats in driftwood

such a sick tune..

roadrunner is about right if i remember correctly, but imo its easier than that. its just a good shuffle with low volume, sidechained to the kick and snare. good luck with getting it right, lol :D

its all about the 'flow' of the bass tho. if you get that right you dont need any hats..

such a sick tune..

roadrunner is about right if i remember correctly, but imo its easier than that. its just a good shuffle with low volume, sidechained to the kick and snare. good luck with getting it right, lol :D

its all about the 'flow' of the bass tho. if you get that right you dont need any hats..

What do you mean by shuffle?

this "shuffling" sound you get when you play 2 pretty similar hats after each other. this tshtshtshh sound, no idea how to explain it properly. just download a shuffle sample. lol.

Throw a Hi-pass filter on it, EQ it, Compress the living shit out of it. :slayer:
(The break you're looking for is in the attachment, below.)

Quick Tips & help:

When using an EQ, try not too 'boost'.

I'm guessing you don't know how to use a compressor, so I strongly suggest & recommend you read this tutorial as it will help you a great deal in the future. Keep away from Multi-band compression for now, all you need is a compressor with these settings: Ratio, Attack, Release, Sensitivity & Make Up; You might not understand now but read that tutorial & it will make everything sound crunchy, Just don't use shitty low quality samples, find drum samples that are in WAV & MIDI sounds like what you have on Synthesizers are fine, too.

So here's your tutorial on Compression.
The Compression 101 Tutorial

And here's your shuffle break: 170bpm / MP3 320kbps (Couldn't upload a WAV)

Attachments

• Shuffle Break fo&#114.mp3
    443.5 KB · Views: 43
that was wicked... thanks mate! knew all of that stuff about compressors, but seeing it and reading it in laymans terms certainly helps!

Back
Top Bottom