High Frequency Distortion (Basses)

Discussion in 'Production' started by Apostata, Nov 2, 2015.

1. Apostata

Apostata Member

Hi guys,

when it comes to splitting a bassline into several channels, where is the sweetspot for high frequency distortion? What are your opinions and which range would you usually put distortion on, when using this technique?

Thanks!

Edit: Well, I do kind of know that depands on the specific bass, but in general, which techniques do you use when distorting?

2. lug00ber

lug00ber Active Member

I usually find that the best results comes from distorting bass and the lower mid range, and then removing the low end of the result.

3. wingz

wingz everyones fav austrian

everything above the fundamental basically.
    for techniques, i split the main sound into 2 signals: 0-100 and 100 - 20k hz. On that 0-100 bus i turn the output to mono, and on the upper part i first use some quite destructive eq to boost the harmonics i like and a 2nd eq to notch out the mud.
    then i usually use a distortion which is multiband to find the sweet spots in the sound and use quite drastic measures but turn the dry/wet down quite a lot (what helps is when you already have noise in your sound because that creates a nice crunch when you distort it). what can also give you more clarity is a slight reverb send which is cut to around 1k and a dash of chorus on the lower mids to give the sound more clarity and widen it a bit, just play around a lot and save chains you like, at some point you're gonna be able to tell what kinda distortion gives you the sound you're going for, it's hella fun imo ;)

Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
  4. Dark Lizardro

Dark Lizardro The Lizard that has a hammer Staff Member

Put a spectrum analyzer in the channel. most of them shows names for the bands in the frequency spectrum and probably you should find, in that order: sub, bass, mid bass, mid, mid high, high

Voi lá.

5. fanu

fanu Active Member

Fabfilter Saturn is great for that. Me, I don't look for freqs / numbers (other then keep my sub up to 60 Hz intact)...just listen.
    It's like Dave Pensado said something like "I just mess with it until it sounds right".