hi im new, a few questions

analogcreature

hey everyone

im new to the forum, as well as drum n bass in general. ive always listened to squarepusher since i can remember, and now muziq and aphex twin alot. i play acoustic drums and dabble in keyboard a little bit. im really interested in hardware drum n bass. id like to make some music old school squarepusher style with just some vintage boards and analog effects- no computers or programs.

i really have no clue though, what i need to start off. i know that the roland sh101 and tb303 are staples, but as far as making actual songs and beats, sequencing, ect, i have no idea. i think it would be really fun to make some drum n bass/acid jazz stuff with a total hands on approach, alot of the reason being ive been an acoustic musician for years.

so if anyone would like to suggest some mandatory equipment, or have links to tutorials that can explain hardware music creation, anything really, id really appreciate it.

again, i have NO interest in soft synths or sequencing programs.

It's very difficult to create drum & bass without using computers of programme's. All DnB tunes use computers and software such as Reason or Cubase.

If you are wanting to get in the scene a bit more you should goto RESOURCE night this fri. In a small intermate club, you'll find lots of dnb heads, some of which produce music.

Check out www.myspace.com/resourcednb

It's very difficult to create drum & bass without using computers of programme's. All DnB tunes use computers and software such as Reason or Cubase.

If you are wanting to get in the scene a bit more you should goto RESOURCE night this fri. In a small intermate club, you'll find lots of dnb heads, some of which produce music.

Check out www.myspace.com/resourcednb

early squarepusher, until 2000 i beleive, used NO computers. and im a drummer, so im used to doing things that are difficult. i have no problem learning something hard to do, in fact it makes it more interesting.

where/what is resource? i live in ohio... im confused

good luck mate, i like the idea of using pure hardware, will probably be very expensive though

good luck mate, i like the idea of using pure hardware, will probably be very expensive though

yea escpecially considering tb's go for like $2-3k

id just like to know how its all set up. i have a good idea how it can be easily made on a computer, i mess around with fruity loops from time to time, but its just so much more interesting to me how someone can make that music with out a piano roll or beat sequencer.

id be happy to make some very minimal sounding stuff, but i really dont know what couple of items id need to make even the most basic of jungle/drum n bass

im not even sure that it will have break beats exclusively, i just want to experiment and see what i can come up with.

my understanding of how Squarepusher developed his manic drum style is............ he used to play bass in a band or two, like realllllly fast, no-one could keep up. so he'd program drum machines to the maximum bpm setting and jam with them instead. he has a very strong musical background, particularly in jazz, so i think that informed his decision to carry on working without computers.

he'd record the midi data into the drum sequencer and trigger breaks/drum hits from his sampler with that data, chuck some synths/bass over the top and there you go, a classic lp... often the beats were made slower and sped-up significantly to increase the insanity. now this has been rubbished by many over the years, but i got this from the horses mouth & unless he was winding me up.....it does sort of imply that he cheated a little, and the man is a total musical genius so maybe he was lying...it doesn't explain how he gets all those little nuances in volume & velocity etc - that sort of thing would surely have to be programmed.

now venetian snares, that's a man who knows who to sequence. and he uses a tracker (renoise afaik).. not a piano roll editor á la cubase.

personally i use tunafish to sequence (it's such a simple program), i edit & do my "thing" in cooleditpro & then i master the tracks in vst...10 years+ ago i was using a boss drum machine to program, an emu sampler (with 32mb ram so the samples have to be super-small) and an amiga1200 to sequence it all. very cheap setup and all my best tunes were done on that kit (sigh)..

my understanding of how Squarepusher developed his manic drum style is............ he used to play bass in a band or two, like realllllly fast, no-one could keep up. so he'd program drum machines to the maximum bpm setting and jam with them instead. he has a very strong musical background, particularly in jazz, so i think that informed his decision to carry on working without computers.

he'd record the midi data into the drum sequencer and trigger breaks/drum hits from his sampler with that data, chuck some synths/bass over the top and there you go, a classic lp... often the beats were made slower and sped-up significantly to increase the insanity. now this has been rubbished by many over the years, but i got this from the horses mouth & unless he was winding me up.....it does sort of imply that he cheated a little, and the man is a total musical genius so maybe he was lying...it doesn't explain how he gets all those little nuances in volume & velocity etc - that sort of thing would surely have to be programmed.

now venetian snares, that's a man who knows who to sequence. and he uses a tracker (renoise afaik).. not a piano roll editor á la cubase.

personally i use tunafish to sequence (it's such a simple program), i edit & do my "thing" in cooleditpro & then i master the tracks in vst...10 years+ ago i was using a boss drum machine to program, an emu sampler (with 32mb ram so the samples have to be super-small) and an amiga1200 to sequence it all. very cheap setup and all my best tunes were done on that kit (sigh)..

wow dude, thank you!
i really dont have any knowledge of midi, and ive never messed around witha drum machine.
does tom program his own beats as well as use samples of pre-made beats?
what parts of the music can the sampler be acredited too? it seems like alot of the sounds could be sampled or are just produced from a synth, i cant really tell, especially after fucking around with an arp- it seems like its capabe of anything.

sorry about my lack of understanding but im just a guitar player turned drummer, thats all i know really. i just have this HUGE fascination with synths and drum machine and the whole deal, and i wish i could just suck up everthing i need to know as fast as possible.

if you could just unload a wealth of info about what i should find and buy first and what to do with it to do what thatd be great. i know im asking alot, but i cant seem to find just some kind of info bible on hardware and how to use it.

Back
Top Bottom