Hi Hats

Discussion in 'Production' started by muzzadj, Oct 1, 2009.

1. muzzadj

muzzadj POW!

Ez all,

Can anyone share a few techniques when doing hi hats?! Can't seem to get it right! Such as do you change up the volume of each one at all? Have it every beat? Every other beat etc? And do you have them loud and distinctive in the beat of quite low so you can just hear it?

Finding this harder than anything else so far!!

Safe!

2. safety

safety double safety

to get my hat loops, i time stretch and eq a drum loop until it sounds like a crazy hi hat

3. MrWoggles

MrWoggles Member

Go with gut instinct mate. If it sounds right, it's right. If you are thinking it terms of breaks and such what you you need to do is slice different types of breaks and layer them with your own hits.

i.e:

Makes your own kicks, snares, rides etc whatever you want.

Then toss a break that you like the sound of into a slicer, re-arrange it the way you want and they high-pass it so your own kicks/snares are dominant.

4. muzzadj

muzzadj POW!

Right i'm guessing you use a slicer to rearrange? Heard this high pass and low pass alot.. What does that actually mean? Sorry for the noobness but i gotta find out somehow lol!

Safe for the reply mate

5. CULTURE_BOY

CULTURE_BOY HMMM

high pass is refering to a filter that lets the highs pass through, low pass the other way round.

do this on a break n it will remove the low end from the break.

on the hat thing, one shot hats are nice if you get a rhythem with them and them and the adjust the volume on some of em n then give them a nice groove

6. CULTURE_BOY

CULTURE_BOY HMMM

high pass is refering to a filter that lets the highs pass through, low pass the other way round.

do this on a break n it will remove the low end from the break.

on the hat thing, one shot hats are nice if you get a rhythem with them and them and the adjust the volume on some of em n then give them a nice groove

7. n3xlab

n3xlab So fresh and so clean

What wogglez said. Make your own kicks, snares, and rides.
    Take a simple hi hat sample and just do a strait 8th note loop.
    Make the downbeat notes harder, the backbeat hats lighter. Pan/eq these the way u like em but make the hihat loop just loud enough to know its there. Then take a break loop, eq the lows out (if it has a kick in it), and eq the highs til' it sounds good.

This is an over simplified method of course. You have to find your own technique/sound. Good luck, have fun m8.

If you like, throw in some delays/reverb to add a little depth the kicks/snares, and that simple hihat rhythm.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2009
  8. MrWoggles

MrWoggles Member

Which DAW do you use?

If you use FL I can help you with a step-by-step.

9. msmith222

msmith222 redbeard

my roommate and i used to spend unreal amounts of time on this, this is where we came to...good samples (duh), velocities are WAY more important that volume changes, and it is good to write the hats by themselves. get them to swing and sway outside the track, and they're gonna sound really sick inside the track.

10. TongueFlap

TongueFlap Flappin'

i do all mine in audio, looky
    [​IMG]

11. msmith222

msmith222 redbeard

quite pleased to see the screenshot...looks eerily similar to a lot of mine.

12. Kaz1983

Kaz1983 Member

Here are some tutorials on how to play certain high hat patterns ... drum and bass related of course, although they're showing you play them on a drum kit which is good as you can see the high hat being struck .. If your like me and still getting your head around how to arrange your high hats to get that proper swing feeling, maximum impact - this deffo will help -makes me wanna buy a drum kit actually.. :D

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2015
  13. Wrigzilla

Wrigzilla broke but not broken

If I'm purely using one shots then I'll have at least 3/4 hat similar but different hi hat samples. A drummer will naturally hit a little bit harder with his right arm (assuming he's right handed) so just by having a volume/velocity change or multiple samples you'd be adding in a bit of natural groove.

14. Cat Gas

Cat Gas Aka Basis

I find hi hats can make the speed of the tune seem different.
    for a standard tune I would do one every 2 beats, but if I was doing some halfstep stuff or more minimal, sometimes its nice to have one every 4, or even non stop.

15. kama

kama benkama.net

But they are the same thing, no?:confused:

Anyway

1 cool trick to try is to sidechain the hihats overall volume to your kick and snare, but dont make them disappear completely. Gives nice weight to your kick and snare. Works especially well with splasy hihats or rides and other cymbals.

I usually end up using a few different samples to get some movement and variation on the hats to fit it in better with the other drums. I use maybe 4 or 5 different pieces. Open hihats, pedal hits, plain 808 noise hats, stuff like that. Reversing the last hit can give your drums a nice continuous feel, sort of breaking the loop mindset.

16. msmith222

msmith222 redbeard

i guess they are the same. i tend to think of velocity as having to do with amplitude and force of attack, whereas i think of volume as solely relating to amplitude. not necessarily correct, just how i think about it.

17. subprime

subprime Dysjoint

True unless, as in the case of kontakt3, some patches have been multi-sampled. Less weighty hits have a slightly different timbre, especially in the case of hats, cymbals and snare. Some quite realistic hat lines are possible.

In this case different velocities are actually triggering different samples so.....it's a different case really.

Apart from that, like you and everyone said.

18. kama

kama benkama.net

i've also tried doing stuff in audio in reaper, but then if you decide later on to change the sound youre in for a treat... after that business i keep to samplers very much.