hi-hat loops/breaks

And of course the Danny Byrd sample pack, has some great highhat and shaker loops, as well as the highpassed breaks in the loop separates folder.
Chop them up and rearrange to build some interesting stuff.

I would too but i'm just having problems learning some patterns and stuff
So hopefully I can take these apart and they will help me learn the patterns better

Mate making your own hats is a fucking mish, spent hours the other day tryin to dissect a track and it was mission :( Cant wait until i figure that out, i'm sure my production will progress quicker then :)

Actually I haven't had very much trouble, i've been following this technique I recently learnt in this tutorial

Its an Ableton based tutorial. I did it on a dubstep track the other day and had good results

Last edited by a moderator:
HiHat breaks are easy to make man. There also isint any rules on how to do it either. A good way tho is....

Find ya self a good couple of hat samples, dont have to sound the same, but sounding similar will help.
Put a hat on every 8th, so you get the solid hit going on. Then you could add a different hat on another track on every 16th, already you will start to hear some shuffle going on. To make it more shuffly add another hat in a different track but make them ghost notes (hit slightly quieter) but put them on the off beats etc..

add a lil verb to some and take it from there :)

Last edited:
actually, do what he says ^^^, layer a break on top and the most important thing: make them sound good on their own, if they do sound good that way, they will do in the track aswell.

actually, do what he says ^^^, layer a break on top and the most important thing: make them sound good on their own

That's ok if you are playing them on their own but if you are rying to get them to work with a break you have to make them sound good with the break, you have to EQ/effect them etc in context.

Side-chaining can help your hats too.

That's ok if you are playing them on their own but if you are rying to get them to work with a break you have to make them sound good with the break, you have to EQ/effect them etc in context.

Side-chaining can help your hats too.

thats what i meant. make the hi hats sound good, including breaks and every other perc..

1: Put hats on every step in the sequencer.
2: Fuck around with velocity [read; turn just about every step almost mute...] and make a nice "phrase".
3: ?????
4: Profit!

Back
Top Bottom