Hey Brits, I got a question for ya...

audidude

I gotta ask: What do Brits think of the PotD crew? I never got to experience the "early/1992" dnb/jungle scene that ran rampant through England (and the rest of the world I guess), but thanks to the American producers/dj's like Hive and Dieselboy, I got turned onto the world of dnb. Are they considered "less than" the likes of the Reprazent crew or say the Ram Records crew? Just a thought... :cool:

brit's isn't offensive! Not to me anyway.

dieselboy is pretty widely respected as a dj.

I think ak1200 and dara are less well known. I've never seen them spin.

I don't think there's any prejudice against artists from other countries, people like Hive are producing some of the best stuff arround at the mo... but saying that, there aren't any American artists have had an impact on the scene comparable to reprazent or ram yet.

I think that the reason why Reprazent and Ram Records got more recognition than american DJs is because Roni/Reprazent won the mercury music prize for New Forms and has generally been a vital parts of the scene for around a decade, and because Andy C is the one of the main heads of Ram, voted best DJ more times than anyone can remember, and reknown for managing a label that consistanly releases great tunes with a unique Ram sound . I think if a DJ wanted to be recognised at the highest level in this scene, he needs to either be consistantly great in producing tunes, consistantly great in performing out, managing a label that outdoes all others in its releases and promotions, or all of the above. This british DJ's that are mentioned above are recognised not because of their heritage, but because of their contribution to the scene, they may have been recognised faster than if they were from another country, because of them being situated close to the scene's mecca (London), but this doesn't mean they were recognised any more than they deserve. I mean, look at the recognition that Greg Packer gets in Oz, Marky in Brazil, or Makoto in Japan, they now gets the same recognition back in England, and this is because their contribution to the scene in their own country has been so great, that it has affected the scene as a whole. Everyone gets the recognition they deserve, including the americans.

My two cents

'Planet Of The Drums' - Dieselboy, AK1200 & Dara

I've seen both DSL and AK1200 and they're both amazing DJ's. DSL is definitely America's answer to Friction or Andy C. AK1200 always plays something different (which is good these days!), and he's known to 'itch it up' during his sets.

They get the (y) from me. More fire!

Great feedback guys thanks! I really wasn't trying to suggest that there are any prejudices against any particular DJs nationality, but I guess that's how it came off. I certainly see London as the "mecca" of the dnb scene as well for most electronic genres. I am very jealous of the musical environment England is exposed to, however it looks like the rest of the States are coming around slowly but surely. I would definitely put the Mercury prize as a major contributor to Roni's success, and seeing that the US really has no equivalent award (and the Grammy's are just a joke), it would be difficult for the mainstream to even be aware of the musical boundaries that are being pushed. Who knows maybe since Radio 1 is now accessible through the satellite radio Sirius in the States (too bad 1Xtra isn't), perhaps Fabio and Grooverider will turn some ears...

Oh, and I have read "yanks" on these boards many times over, but if I did offend anyone, my apologizes.

Oh, and I would suggest anyone curious about the PotD crew to check out either the set just posted the other day (which is a little sloppy), DJ Dara's mixed cd entitled "The Antidote" or DSL's Dungeonmaster's Guide (2004) or projectHUMAN (2002). And now that I think of it, I can't think of a single big name in Liquid dnb from the US...

I'm sure no-one would take offence to Brits.

With the Roni and Ram. That's what I remember hearing the first times I went out raving and heard the jungle / dnb (and the Ganja Cru etc).

London might be a centre for production / labels but I wouldn't say it is for raving anymore. The London kids don't know anymore and want grime and uk hiphop instead.

audidude said:
And now that I think of it, I can't think of a single big name in Liquid dnb from the US...

Juju and Mathematics are fairly big in the liquid market, and they're both stateside.

Back
Top Bottom