Hey all, helps me out with a project.

moriaty

VIP Junglist
ez all
so im working on an paper where i attempt to examine the current internet production communities, and the affect they have on the music scene.
Anyway, i wont bore you too much with it. But you can help me by listening to the following two samples, and give me some comments. Each link is a short 8 bar loop (repeated twice) of a drop.
Sample 1
Sample 2
Just a point here: im not looking for production advice or any bigging up of any sort. What would be most helpful is to comment on the production level of each sample, the composition/sound selection, and also on how experienced you believe the producer of each sample to be.
btw, the clips are really short and you can stream them, no need to download.
So yeah, it would be very useful for me if you could spare couple of minutes, and drop some some comments as above.
many thanks (y)

I think the first sample sounds like the producer doesn't have much experience. The production quality is not very good, sounds fit together well selection-wise but they sound like straight from a sample cd. In fact, it doesn't sound bad, it just sounds like it was made 11-12 years ago.

The second is much cleaner compared. Not necessarily like the producer is more experienced, but has more powerful tools and the 'collective experience' (a nice way of saying it sounds 'hip') at his/her disposal.

hmm. A strange observation...but I shan't say it...

I would really like to know what this was about after you're done.

The first one is a bit repetitive and unoriginal in my opinion, with no creative EQ.

Second one sounds like it has an expensive synth on it and but isn't compressed but does do a fair job of EQ to make it clean. Needs more middle freq. tho

I put this in your other one but I just seen this so I'll put it in here too:

Not sure if this is going to be any help lol, the first sample sounds 'richer' than the second, I'm only saying that because of the more prominent bass in the first and because the second sample sounds more like an intro/breakdown than the drop of a track. The second seems a little more creative than the first though imo. Production wise, I wouldn't say that either was at a professional level tbh.

Last edited:
it sounds like both definitely used (at least) some loops (i'd say b.s. if someone claimed they were totally from scratch). i also think they're a bit (just a bit) behind the times; using sounds that are a bit older. and as for experience level, they're not too far apart from each other.

both sound very novice, second one is more better though.
the tramen sounds nice on both but its a little too harsh on the tops.
there is a good quality to the tramen somewhere some wooden percs in the break, those are nice
the frantic 303y synths are not very funky i feel

The first one did sound a bit 'by numbers' (sample cd) so if it was from scratch I'd say it's quite well done but boring and unoriginal.
The bass on the second one sounds like it's done by someone who's getting their s**t together but hasn't quite cracked it overall.
As far as drop quality, either might send me to the bar or the toilet or where-ever.

Back
Top Bottom