Here's a track I made (Chin Punch - Save Me)

Some heavyweight vibes here man really diggin the sound. Overall I think you could benefit from a slightly cleaner low mid section, there seems to be a bit of a build up between the snare, reese and some of what sounds like the high end of a distorted sub and ends up masking the power of the snare - you have a really strong kick here so get the snare up to scratch and this track will be rollin'.

Hey mate, thanks so much for the listen and taking the time to give feedback. Glad you're digging the vibe and thanks for your tips. I'll be sure to put them in to practise. I'm running a limited setup ATM (just laptop and headphones) but hopefully when I get some monitors things will tighten up!

You'd be surprised how much you can get out of your set up, I ran with just headphones for ages without a problem! I think it's more important to know your kit inside out, even if it is just a set of headphones - listen to lots of music through them, figure out how they sound and model your mixing choices around that. A good reference track will really help to tighten things up as well man! Although nothing beats a good set of monitors...

At 1:32 after the 4th kick you should get rid of the other 4 kicks and chuck in a fill with a very slight pause after just before the track kicks in again. It would sound heavy if you could nail it.

@TinnitusD&B Thanks for listening mate, that's a great idea! It's suggestions like this that make me think I could benefit from working with a collaborator. I wish I could have thought of that a few weeks ago on my own. Let me know if you'd like to work on something with me!

Back
Top Bottom