Helps IV lerns the computermagics

IV4

DnBF Sheriff
VIP Junglist
Hey guys,

I am not the most computer oriented person despite my hobby. Today I bought a new computer. I went from a pc to a mac. This means I need to buy a new DAW. Because of the learning curve I think I am going to go with reason 6. When I buy it, the reason program will be perfectly legal. The problems is can I transfer my samples that are wave to the mac? Also, if I am not sure my current reason program is a legal one.(I did not torrent it I don't even know.) I bought reason 2nd hand off a person and it was not a reason disc, and I'll I got was a pice of paper with numbers for the key. Yes, I know how stupid that sounds, but the program worked. Question, IS THERE ANY WAY I CAN TRANSFER MY REASON FILES FROM THE PC TO THE MAC EVEN THOUGH THE FILE MAY OR MAY NOT BE LEGAL. Would it just crash the system? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Yes the reason files will work on a mac (I used some recently on a friends Mac, and his copy wasn't exactly legit) Not had much personal experience with Mac's, but Logic should be something to look in to.. I like the look of Reason 6, the only draw back though is the the new 'Vst' addons will only work with Reason, where as if you buy normal VSTs they will work with anything that's compatable (Logic, Ableton etc)

Not slating Reason at all.. I love it still to this day, and used it since Reason 1, but I'd def look at all options before deciding for sure

You can definitely transfer your wav samples, that won't be an issue.

Despite whether or not your PC software is legit, the project files should open without a problem. Worst case scenario, it wouldn't crash your entire computer, just Reason.

Basically, buy a legit copy of Reason 6 (Mac), load up a project, and have at it.

Also, as mentioned above look into Logic. It has a nice ability to ReWire Reason.

BTW, now that you have a Mac, you should look into hooking up Time Machine and utilizing an extra external drive for backing up. It has saved my ass many times.

Cheers.

Reason 6 is going to allow vsts? So I can finally get camel phat. Do you think they will except any ni synths lie massive? Hooray! Time machine that is a good idea. If reason crashes then I will time warp the sob and start from scratch.

Only certain ones.. Look into it on the propellerhead website.. It's up to 6.5 now.. But like I say they'll only work within Reason

^^ yeah they called Rack Extensions.
other companies create plug ins for reason now. not quite VST but its a step in the right direction - some nice ones there already

i bet reason wont crash.

I use Ableton, Reaktor and Rewired Reason 6.5

In your case. I would go with something like logic and a reason bundle. Reason is bloody brilliant but I'm not a fan of its arrangement workflow compared to other DAWS.

Just make sure your WAV samples are the right bit depth and you will be good to go man.

Id really like to get my hands on Reason 6, the number of rack extensions is growing fast and I believe you can now time-stretch which is something else I missed in Reason 5.

If I were you though id be sure to check out Logic, it looks to be by the far the DAW of choice, and it fucking sucks that its not available on PC. At the end of the day its down to your preference to either continue with something you already know, or try something else that would take some time to learn but could change the way you make music. Good luck

scrapped said it man my buddy graduated from berklee and drums but i can never get him to collab on a track, all he's doing is sample based shit on reason. i started out in high school recording in studios with pro tools and then had ableton but couldn't get shit done, then saw nero and chase and status use cubase and read hans zimmer interview saying he thinks cubase sounds better than logic (if anybody could tell its him).

cubase has this amazing linear workflow...

get cubase, fabfilter compressor, limiter, equalizer and gate.

Also, as mentioned above look into Logic. It has a nice ability to ReWire Reason.

BTW, now that you have a Mac, you should look into hooking up Time Machine and utilizing an extra external drive for backing up. It has saved my ass many times.

Cheers.
This is a bit off topic but do you know how time machine goes with the logic app?
Heard you only get the one install with it and transferring it to a new comp can be a bitch.

I would look real hard at Logic, they have just dropped the price a lot. $199 for the Pro suite and it includes over 20GB of sounds. I cannot imagine using another DAW on a Mac, but that is probably because I have been on it for so long.

This is a bit off topic but do you know how time machine goes with the logic app?
Heard you only get the one install with it and transferring it to a new comp can be a bitch.

???

Time machine is the native backup program for OS X. I backs up all of your files (or just the ones you specify) at intervals you choose. It doesn't have anything to do with the installation of Logic. Logic is now downloaded from the Mac app store, a process you can repeat after you have made the purchase. They may allow you more than one license (AutoCAD for Mac allows you to install on up to 5 computers, not sure about Logic), but you are not limited to a one-time installation. Transferring things form an old PC to a new Mac, or an old Mac to a new one, is mindblowingly simple. You can do it all manually, or use the Migration assistant

and read hans zimmer interview saying he thinks cubase sounds better than logic (if anybody could tell its him).

i know this is Hans Zimmer here, but read up on panning law to understand why different DAWs sound different. It has nothing to do with the DAW's audio engine....

???

Time machine is the native backup program for OS X. I backs up all of your files (or just the ones you specify) at intervals you choose. It doesn't have anything to do with the installation of Logic. Logic is now downloaded from the Mac app store, a process you can repeat after you have made the purchase. They may allow you more than one license (AutoCAD for Mac allows you to install on up to 5 computers, not sure about Logic), but you are not limited to a one-time installation. Transferring things form an old PC to a new Mac, or an old Mac to a new one, is mindblowingly simple. You can do it all manually, or use the Migration assistant
Yeah i know what time machine does, just I'd heard the opposite re: the logic dl but never followed it up to check myself and haven't had to move the app of the current computer.
Cheers dude!

Back
Top Bottom