HELPPP Feedback from stereo RCAs used as mono

Discussion in 'Production' started by W3st, Mar 4, 2012.

1. W3st

W3st Unsigned DnB Producer

Whats up guys, I searched on the forums for this but couldn't find exactly what I was looking for...

I am currently set up using 2 KRK G2 5's using balanced TRS to *stereo* rca's.

The thing is, I'm plugged into an M-audio fastrack, which only has the left and right mono rca inputs.

my question is: since i am only using one rca input per cable for each speaker (the red for the left speaker - so the white right rca is just hanging off my desk) and the vice versa for the right speaker, what is causing feedback?

Is it because there is one rca input per speaker not being used and causing interference? In that case what could i do to cover them?

Thanks and sorry for the long post, just had to make sure you guys got the details. Cheers!

2. Rarrr

Rarrr Member

im doing this at the moment and not getting any feedback
    first thing id check is your mic input
    then your monitor(pc screen)

3. lostnthesound

lostnthesound Burns Easily in the Sun

It could very well be because one RCA is not in use, however, RCA's are not grounded and are inferior in terms of signal strength and build quality. They are more prone to causing feedback, especially in the presence of other electronic devices (external hard drive, computer, etc.).

I hate to be the one to break it to you, but you're going to need to upgrade your audio interface/sound card to one that has proper outputs (i.e. XLR/TRS). I know it's not what you want to hear, however, by having an audio interface with poor outputs, you're ultimately affecting the sound quality coming from your KRK's which will effect the way you "hear" sounds when producing.

Upgrade your sound card/audio interface and ditch the RCA's and get either 1/4" TRS or XLR cables.

Cheers.

4. W3st

W3st Unsigned DnB Producer

Well my original plan WAS to get the fasttrack pro with the XLR inputs, but I messed up the craigslist thing and long story short ended up with the fast track not pro for like 50 bucks.

Figured I'd go with it and see how the RCA's would work out. But I am running balanced sound... doesn't that mean that I can just run mono rca's and eliminate the feedback? My cables are TRS to stereo RCA's. Thinking of switching to TRS to mono RCA and save a lot of money.

Let me know what you think, cheers

5. lostnthesound

lostnthesound Burns Easily in the Sun

Yeah, fucking craigslist. I've gotten burnt on that thing a time or two.

Here's the thing: an RCA is an RCA; No matter how it's physically converted (whether it be TRS, mono, stereo, etc.) the signal will never truly be balanced.

An audio interface that has only RCA outputs was not meant to output a balanced signal. To achieve a balanced output, you need to have a source (aka audio interface/soundcard) that is equipped with outputs capable of producing a balanced signal. Then, it's a matter of getting balanced cables to carry the balanced signal from your source to the destination of the audible output (your monitors).