Help :)

Discussion in 'Waffle' started by DJNitrousUK, Nov 22, 2009.

1. DJNitrousUK

DJNitrousUK Active Member

Right, I leave school in about 7-8 months, which means applying for college.

I want to do Graphic design:

http://www.ccn.ac.uk/course/graphic-design-btec-national-diploma-0

http://article.paston.ac.uk/article.asp?reference=BTECAANDD&search=Y

I should have the qualifications in English, Maths & Science @ A*-C grades but I don't study art, I study engineering.

It says: "You’ll also need to bring a portfolio of your work to your interview." // "Students who have not studied GCSE Art but who have the other qualifications required may be offered a place on this course if they are able to submit a strong portfolio of practical work."

Is it possible for me to get a place on this course with thje subjects I study? How do I submit a portfolio without having any work from these subjects?

Any help would be MUCH appreciated.

Cheers x

2. $pyto

$pyto Soundcloud changed everything

They may offer the course to you if you also take up GCSE art alongside it as well. Have you rang the college and asked them? Colleges are normally a lot more flexible on their approach to putting people on courses and tend to deal with people individually.

3. DJNitrousUK

I'll have to have a chat with them. cheers

4. Olllie

Olllie Bom Bom Cloud

My mum works at a college and says it's fairly easy to get onto a college course... as long as they can tell you're serious about it they are normally quite forgiving with the entry requirements.

Have you done any graphic design work before (e.g. flyers, mixtape covers)? Print out everything you've done (doesn't have to be amazing), make a scrapbook and there's your portfolio. If you haven't got anything you might want to try designing a few random things in photoshop.

5. DJNitrousUK

I designed my own logos and artwork for my DJing/digital label.

I am good with Sony Vegas Pro 9.0 editing software.

I'm good at drawing.

I'm currently making a youtube layout, & I can use photoshop.

6. Olllie

Olllie Bom Bom Cloud

Perfect you've got work to show, get it printed and buy a nice book to stick it in. I'm sure you'll have no problems getting onto that course, you'll probably even be better than half the people in your class when you get there

7. *Chloe

*Chloe Well-Known Member

im pretty sure you dont have the qualifications to do a ba in graphic design especially if you dont have a strong portfolio.

Those course as well are heavily based on drawing so if you cant draw i wouldnt apply to those.

also if you do a graphic design course dont expect them to actually teach you how to use photoshop and all that, they rarely do.

if you do a course like multimedia they will teach you how to use all those programs and they arent reliing on drawing as much.

hope that helped.

8. DJNitrousUK

Cheers (y). I can draw pretty well, always have been able to.

What sort of course would you reccomend then? As I'm looking to do a course like this but judging by your advice maybe something else?

9. DJNitrousUK

I was originally thinking of a course in music, but as the current economic climate is, and other factors like that is that a good idea anyway? Obviously I wanna do something that I will enjoy, but how are these courses going to set me up employment/future wise?

10. dnbkingz

dnbkingz bollocks

Christ, if i managed to get into college. You'll have no trouble.
    No GCSE's wen im 'ere

11. *Chloe

*Chloe Well-Known Member

if i could i would drop out of my graphic design and photography course
    because its taught me nothing but given me shit projects like create a 3d object out of the @ sign and crap like that.

id recommend doing a multimedia course

12. EWOKS

EWOKS POTATOES GONNA POTATE

yea agreed.

just talk to college direct, usually the requirements to get on the course are quite flexible to a degree. they put in the prospectus that certian things are needed as a basis. but if you have equivilents, and show your real keen and willing to work and maybe take art aswell or something else.

ive dont this a couple of times and got on courses that i havent had the grades for but equivilents. just ring up, or go in . talk to them and show how keen you really are to get on the corse. aslong as you get alrite gcse's and prove you can do the work and have some work to put forward you'll be ok mate. but if you get 5 d's your fucked.

13. DJNitrousUK

Cheers everyone (y)

14. EWOKS

EWOKS POTATOES GONNA POTATE

what is it you ultimately want to be designing and doing. id take on board what Chloe just said and talk to her abit more. check out a multimedia course as she says. maybe that would be more your thing i dunno . talking to people (not lecturers and the college) and your mates , and people that have done the course ( chloe ) and see if its what you really wanna do .. if you got dreams of sitting and designin all this smart stuff and you end up having to do a project on making the ' @ ' logo 3d .. then your gunna be bored.

15. snatch

snatch Member

yea you should have no problem.

Multimedia development is a decent course to go in.
    I did an HND in it learnt to use so many programs.

16. funkmod

funkmod Member

im in a few multimedia classes my self right now taking collage credit while still in high school . Its all about really building up your skills and having something to show for it. Also some art classes would probly be helpfull to put down as well . Me myself i always have taken tons of art classes . Like i stated befor tho its all about just building up your skills in this field.

17. Sammy_Dodger

Sammy_Dodger Mr Ed

They might ask you to do a Foundation first...