help

Discussion in 'Production' started by MC_Abyss, Mar 9, 2014.

1. MC_Abyss

MC_Abyss Member

This is a question post questioning commercial productions. Now a typical stereo hits frequencys 35hz-13khz roughly. So how do they have such clarity in there lows that sound like 20hz? That's probably a poor way of asking the question,I'm really bad with words. Anyways i ask because they're sounds all seem to be prominent in every stereo that plays them, i have so many low sounds that disappear in stereos that can't handle the lows. So how do they do it. Boost the upper Frequencys in there bass? Our what?

2. smoothassilk

smoothassilk Active Member

I'm not entrely sure what you're saying, but I have heard keep sub frequencies in mono and leave the rest in stereo.

3. ApeCat

ApeCat Human Dubplate

Psycho-acoustics.

4. MC_Abyss

MC_Abyss Member

Lol psycho-acustics. Writing on phones is a bitch. I was asking how in commercial music they are able to produce songs that have killer lows that hit way lower in the frequency spectrum then a typical stereo. But when you listen to them on a typical stereo they don't seem to lose any sounds.
    How do they do it?

5. IV4

IV4 Currently a newt.

EQing! Watch this video.

[​IMG]
    Using the illustration above, picture the Fundmental as your sub bass. On shitty speakers you won't really hear it all that well, but it is the same thing that makes the good speakers go boom.

So if you noticed, between 20hz and 100hz are bass sounds. Now it is generally considered that humans cease hearing frequencies around and below 20hz. However, we can certainly hear and feel sounds between 20hz to 100hz. This is usually what I call the sub-bass. The word sub simply means below. Professional producers and amateur ones that produce drum and bass will pay a lot of attention in this area. To do this professional and amateurs will use active speakers for producing. These special speakers will let them hear more clearly and accurately the sub bass region.
    For example, Kronics produces these deep dub step songs. I believe he uses KRK Rokits as his active studio monitors(speakers). When I listen to his songs. I usually can not hear anything but the drums and the percs sitting on the upper frequencies because I have shitty computer speakers. But if I put in headphones his songs come alive and you are swept back by the power of the bass. The point being, some speakers can handle and are design for the sub bass, and some are not.

To get to a more acute point about the music sounding good no matter what speaker, producers don't always just shove a sine wave underneath a bass. Many time the bass is split in multiple parts with optimum eqing in selected frequency range.

To illustrate, imagine you have synth with three oscillators to make a bass. Two are saw waves and one is a sine. The sine wave will make a noise in the sub bass region. So will the saw waves but their sounds will generate harmonics. It looks something like this only longer.
    [​IMG]

So now imagine the picture above is what your bass looks like by its self. To make the bass better and where we all struggle to get better, we must modify the sound. Common tricks would be isolate the fundamental sound and set it to a separate channel. Do the same thing with 2nd and 3rd, and then again with the 4th and fifth.
    So now you got three basses instead of one. Name them low, medium and high. Set low to mono, add some distortion to medium, put a little phase and reverb on high.
    Or do none to that because that is the artistic process of making bass in bass music.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2015
    MC_Abyss likes this.
  6. Mania

Mania i fukin wot m8

its generally the harmonics above that subby fundamental that keep it fit. Usually if you add a lot of second and third harmonic to a sub, it becones a lot louder without really peaking higher. That being the case, the subs commercial producers use rarely go below 35hz. also, typical stereo systems hit between 55hz and 15khz, not 35 and 13k.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
    MC_Abyss likes this.
  7. MC_Abyss

MC_Abyss Member

Thank you everyone for you posts. I feel i have a greater understanding of the concept now.