Help with this sound card

hyperd4eva

H&M SCARVES
VIP Junglist
Hi Guys,

All imt rying to do is record from a pioneer DJM500 into this audio interface -

9kcoqs.jpg
[/IMG]

Anyone able to tell me what cables i need to run from mixer to this, recording onto a MacBook Pro. i currently record on windows through the mic input via 'monitor booth'

any help be great! Cheers

just a usb i think dude.
after u have connected it go to settings> audio > and u should see an option for M-audio 463something4759 if it doesnt' auto connect.

connect the record out or booth from ur mixer using whatever u can. u might be able to use rca's (not sure if those are inputs tho) read the manual and it should specify where ur inputs are

an rca to trs should work
DV019_Jpg_Regular_331067.jpg

Last edited:
if i were you i would use xlr's. i have a very similar set up. have the master out (8mm) going into those mic/inst inputs. you can either just have one going in, then make the recorded audio stereo, or alternatively you can have one from the L and one from the R. by the looks of it you dont have RCA inputs on that soundcard, so xlr is your only option really. you can also use just an 8mm to 8mm cabel instead of xlr, and the 8mm jack will plug into those mix/inst inputs. Hope that makes sense!

if i were you i would use xlr's. i have a very similar set up. have the master out (8mm) going into those mic/inst inputs. you can either just have one going in, then make the recorded audio stereo, or alternatively you can have one from the L and one from the R. by the looks of it you dont have RCA inputs on that soundcard, so xlr is your only option really. you can also use just an 8mm to 8mm cabel instead of xlr, and the 8mm jack will plug into those mix/inst inputs. Hope that makes sense!

Those XLR inputs are TRS also, I use 2 rca to TRS cables from my mixers output to my soundcard input, works a treat

you need two XLR cables going from your master outs of your DJM into both the inputs on the front, set the inputs to line and set the stereo switch on the front of the device. Turn off the phantom power on the rear of the device too and you should be able to record into whatever software youre using.

you need two XLR cables going from your master outs of your DJM into both the inputs on the front, set the inputs to line and set the stereo switch on the front of the device. Turn off the phantom power on the rear of the device too and you should be able to record into whatever software youre using.

Fuck just been out and only brought 1 !

Should it work with just 1 xlr from mixer to soundcard?

i assume you use audacity? if so, its fine. you jsut record it with one and then make the audio clip stereo, then hey presto it work out of both speakers. i thought it would fuck up the recording and make it sound very mono doing it like this, but it doesnt!

edit- when i finish work i can write you a step by step of how to do it if your unsure

i assume you use audacity? if so, its fine. you jsut record it with one and then make the audio clip stereo, then hey presto it work out of both speakers. i thought it would fuck up the recording and make it sound very mono doing it like this, but it doesnt!

edit- when i finish work i can write you a step by step of how to do it if your unsure

Yeah iv got audacity for the mac. Iv always used it with windows, i take it you just make sure its recording as stereo before u hit record

Basically put both xlrs from the bottom of the DJM into both the XLR ports on the front of the sound card. wont bloody work! still getting just one massive blob in audacity. cant seem to get it sound like its not being recorded through a mic input, its so fucking annoying!!!!!!

dude.
nQxgu9E.png

turn down until waveform fits nicely in the window without clipping

Make sure you have the Line/Mic switches on the interface set to Line
Turn the Gain pots on the interface down to Zero, and move them slowly up with a track playing on your decks with the volume as high as its likley to go, until you get a decent signal

That soundcard isnt really designed for recording stereo line inputs unfortunetly, you may have some issues with left / right being at diffrent volumes, I doubt m-audio has them calibrated to one another.

If its still too loud, the Pad button will reduce the gain further, so try switch that on, although thats usually for mic's

if you still have problems you may just have to get yourself an interface with stereo line input

yup, re-iterating what everyone else has said, turn it down! Those little red clip lights on your soundcard shouldnt be lighting up at all. This is called gain structure and its why we as dj's shouldnt crank the shit out of the gains, eq's and master outs on the mixer. If youre still getting clipping, turn down the gains and the master out, slowly raise them until youre getting a good signal, compensate for any loss of volume through your speakers by taking the booth out to your stereo and cranking that instead, or just turn up the volume a bit on the amp.

Also, set audacity to record from the soundcard, not the internal mic, or line in, etc.

You should be fine recording stereo in using two xlr's, I do exactly that with my card without issue.

Its like the soundcard still has audio playing without even being plugged into the mixer! Somethings not right! Cheers tho guys

Its like the soundcard still has audio playing without even being plugged into the mixer! Somethings not right! Cheers tho guys

could be a groundloop, is it plugged into a PC or a laptop? if its a laptop, try without the power plugged into the wall, if that solves the noise then its a ground loop, you will need an adapter. if its a PC you can try disconecting the ground (bit of electrical tape on the plug pin) to see if that solves it - bare in mind thats very dangerous and could kill you if there is an electrical fault anywhere in your setup, so do it only to test and dont touch any metal areas of your pc - if that gets rid of the noise then again you need a ground loop adapter

Ok let me explain how i have it set up so far incase i have this wrong.

I have master out RCA's running to my amp this gives me my sound! I then used to have an RCA from booth monitor out to my old pc which worked great.

I now have 2x xlr into the mic/inst sockets on the front of the soundcard. This is then plugged into my mac via usb.

When the deck is playing i can hear sound coming from both my speakers and my laptop!? I have all selected in audacity to the soundcard!

yo man, what amp and speakers have you got? trying to work this out for you, its hard not being able to see it!

disable 'input monitoring' in Audacity, if that doesnt work, check the mixer for your interface for a similar option, if that doesnt work check the windows mixer

Back
Top Bottom