help with sound quality on homemade mixes

Discussion in 'Production' started by mad scientist, Sep 13, 2006.

1. mad scientist

mad scientist Turkish

I just bought a new sound card for my computer so I could record from my mixer to my computer and produce mixes. the first one I did came out fine, but my two most recent mixes sound like there is a phaser or flanger type effect on. any ideas as to why this would happen?

2. kama

kama benkama.net

I get the same effect if the recording audio and playback audio both play at the same time. hm? Maybe shed light on how you've wired things, and what you use for recording?

3. Affliction

Affliction thought size didnt matter

Most likely you're monitoring twice.... maybe your soundcard monitors the input (sends it back to the output so you can hear what's being recorded)... also maybe your recording software does the same thing a few milliseconds later... giving a phase effect.

You need to turn off minitoring on either one of those. The soundcard will give slightly lower latency monitoring (easier for mixing), but the recording app might give you some nice visual meters :)

4. symo

symo New Member

What soundcard is it?
    What application are you recording in?

5. rwafish

rwafish New Member

Agree with Affliction on this. Basically your sound is being output twice, one at a very slighty offset time causing a natural phase.