Help With Snare

Crez24

So I've been trying to get a similar snare to Hazard's 'Bricks Don't Roll' for a while. This track has a similar acousticy snare which is what I'm after, but I'm struggling to get the prcoessed fat sound on it. Also, as for the hats in this track (and a lot of other DnB tunes), what makes them fit so well in the mix with the shakers? Sounds as if a lot of the higher frequencies have been removed but not sure. Any help would be sweet!

That sounds like at least 2 snares hitting at the same time. A snare usually doesn't have a lot of high frequencies anyway because of where it sits in the frequency range. There is mid-high presence there though which gives the snare that rattle and acoustic sound.

The key to getting a snare sounding like this is finding the right snare samples to layer on top of each other and EQ correctly. Have a frequency analyser open while you are previewing snare samples. Find a snare with some low end presence, one with low-mid and one with high-mid. Layer them all on top of each other, hit play and start EQing each snare so that the snares fill the frequency range from around 200Hz - 8Khz. Once you've EQ'd the snares then bring the volume faders down on each snare then slowly raise each one until you get a nice balanced sound. Bus all of the snares to one channel and add a little compression to it if the snares sound like they are too separate. Compression will mould the snare sounds together to give it a feeling of being 1 snare hit, not 3 separate hits on top of each other.

Are you just starting out producing or have you been at it for a while?

Re the hats etc, they fit so well because there is nothing else in that frequency range, this track is all jungly sub style so there is little to no bass information near the top. I personally find you can low pass the bass buss at around 10-12khz without effecting the sound too much, this leaves a free space for hats etc to really shine thru.

Re the Snare, read this for general info.
https://ukf.com/words/dat-snare-tho/14267

Thanks for the replies! Will definitely try what you suggested, i did try layering 2 snare samples and playing around with envelopes but didn't EQ a great deal so I'll give it a go, also I've been producing for around 6 months so still getting familiar with techniques. Do you have any suggestions in regards to drum samples? Only my library doesn't include many acoustic samples. Also, out of the snares layered, would you say to use one acoustic sample and the rest quite punchy processed samples? Cheers

If you are going for a live snare drum sound then using live snare drum samples will definitely be a step in the right direction. :teeth:

Back
Top Bottom