help with setting contour control

AuGsY

DJ apprentice
hello there ive been djing for some time now and im wondering how most of u set the contour control on your mixer. I have a denon 1500 i find i get the smoothest mix without the volume jumping at 3/4 between the x and the /-\. Do most djs out there like it that way or is it pretty much all preference?

Most DJs don't use the crossfader for mixing, only the channel faders. My crossfader is set to the sharpest setting possible and I only use it for making cuts

I almost never touch it , it's right in the middle.. I think it just makes a mix a bit more difficult because you have to focus on more things .. and imo it's not really necesary to use it for basic mixing..

I generally leave it right in the middle and use the volume faders, I occasionally use it to mix with, but I find the volume faders to be more versatile...

Besides, seems like whenever you play out in a club the x fader is knackered anyway!

ok fair enough, for some reason when i mix with any fader contour when i bring the volume up it becomes too loud like the volume is boosted and when i remove a track it becomes quiet again. Should i lower the volume of another channel fader as i bring the other up?

Do you mean that, one chanel is quieter than the other?

Have you tried swapping over your carts/stylii?

Also, make sure you trim levels for both chanels are the same, and your balance is in the middle etc etc

Eq before you bring your track in...

Cut the bass and treble as you bring it in, then when you switch from one to the other (usually at the drop) put the bass and treble back in and drop it on the other track, or blend slowly, basically just play around with EQ's till you find what works for you and sounds good...

Or say fuckit and ignore them completely... like Mampi...

Mampi fucking rules though...

Best way to learn how to EQ is to record your mixes over and over again, listen back and keep playing with levels until you can blend without thinkin about it.

Almost all of my mates dont record as a way of practising and half the time their levels are shocking, the mix gets louder and quiter all the way through, and theyve been mixing like 2 years +

If you want a good example of blending thenlisten to Frictions DNB Arena CD, ridiculously tight so if you can get your mixes like this then you'll be schooling a lot of ppl!

Back
Top Bottom