Help with research for dissertation on how sampling technology has progressed D&B as a genre

RanDub

Hello everyone, I am currently completing my university dissertation on how the development of sampling technology over time has developed Drum & bass a a genre. For my practical project i am making a big sample pack that is based as a timeline of years with samples representing the sound of Jungle and D&B over time.

I thought this would be a good place to ask for advice on the styles of the times from those who have been in the scene for a long time as I am only 19 so love D&B however I don't have an extensive knowledge into the whole history so am looking back into it all now.

if anyone can suggest any classic early jungle/D&B tunes you feel were important to the development of the genre so I can listen and learn. And if anyone can enlighten me on the samplers that they know some of the popular producers at the time or the majority of producers were using to chop their breaks and what they were using to arrange their tracks.

Any help at all would be great as i need to research as much as possible!

Cheers!

Doing a dissertation at 19? Fair play. Means you started uni when you were 16, no? Sorry I can't really help you, I was just intrigued by that

Doing a dissertation at 19? Fair play. Means you started uni when you were 16, no? Sorry I can't really help you, I was just intrigued by that

Nope, I go to a music uni where the course is 3 years accelerated to 2. Started when I was 18, will finish when i'm 20 (Birthdays in June)

dj trace - sniper (for the tramen break)
you'll probably mention the analog to digital equipment change, how great digi is now etc, and then explain dillinja's decomposition

Thanks something else to think about, what do you mean by his decomposition?
he used to be inspiring pre digital era, he then slowly died leaving the elements that used to be dillinja to fertilise a new batch of producers. its a gardening analogy i guess. was great on analog, is now shit.
the benefits of modern sampling technology are obvious and vast, but does it make it better? many dillinja fans will say no in reference solely to his case.
listen to angels fell, friday, lion heart, threshold, acid track
then, fast car, shiners, this is a warning

in my opinion of course

he used to be inspiring pre digital era, he then slowly died leaving the elements that used to be dillinja to fertilise a new batch of producers. its a gardening analogy i guess. was great on analog, is now shit.
the benefits of modern sampling technology are obvious and vast, but does it make it better? many dillinja fans will say no in reference solely to his case.
listen to angels fell, friday, lion heart, threshold, acid track
then, fast car, shiners, this is a warning

in my opinion of course
Thanks thats interesting will check it all out, You have any knowledge on the main sampler/s being used in the early days?

Hey, I'm definitely an outsider but have watched tons of documentaries on electronic musics history, here's some that touch on (or at least you can see some in the backround) the equipment used by jungle back then: I know the early AKAI samplers where huge, in hip-hop also

Goldie starts talking at 3:46

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom