Help with my tunes please...

Ian_x

Hi, would be great if anyone gets a spare minute if I could get some feedback on my latest tracks please. Don't really have anyone to play them to and getting a bit stuck/frustrated. Even if you hate the tunes, any hints, tips or suggestions on my production would be brilliant. :confused:

Thanks very much in advance

:confused:

1st 3 tracks are my latest...
http://soundcloud.com/ian_id

ok im gunna be honest, they sound made on a computer, the drums are a bit flat, especially the snares you are using, needs more of a swing.

keep at it tho, practice makes perfect.

i really like the second one on there i can see alot of potential in it!

Dont get me wrong it needs work but i can see where you were going with it,

As for the others the drums need filling out more and you seem to overkill on reverb on some sounds,

keep at it tho man¬!!

Ok, I'm listening on crappy headphones at work but anyway.
I really like 'Caught you dreaming'. The second one didn't really grab me. Fire I also liked.
Over-all, I quite like the way you construct your tune. I liked the arrangement and the different layers.
I reckon you need a bit more weight in your basses, the drum samples may be letting you down (kick/snare a bit plastic, cymbal in fire sounds casio keyboard styles etc) If you told me this was intentional I would probably believe you. In your cymbal/hats work you could get a bit more subtle variation/humanisation going on.

I'd defo listen to track one again anyway. Keep at it, how long have you been producing? (I think you mentioned in another thread but I can't remember)

My feelings are that you tend to use slow sweeping synth sounds against a slow beat, and I think they would benefit from a bit of vibrancy on top maybe as another layer. For example timeline and fire are at a dubstep bpm which is quite slow in itself, maybe flip from the sweeping synths you use and try and incorporate similar things you hear in other dubstep tunes like wobbles, and shorter distorted bass sounds to liven things up (or add as a layer on top of the sweeping synths)? Just thinking out loud, timeline would be my favorite to try a wobble or short distorted bass on. In general they're well constructed though, beats were good in timeline in my opinion.

EDIT : Kind of like what you've done in memorys

EDIT AGAIN : Beats were rolling very good in turning point, like the hihats in this track - more of that would be good

SORRY ONE MORE EDIT : Blue Monzoon is without doubt the best track on there. Listen to this you've clearly got the knack, I don't know you but I'd guess you're maybe loosing a bit of drive in your more recent tracks. You can feel the vibrancy of the shorter sounds I'm thinking about here in this track as they're layred on top of the slower sweeps etc, beats are spot on construction wise if in need of a little bit more punch, general arrangement, its all good here. Get back to this frame of mind I think, top tune.

Last edited:
My feelings are that you tend to use slow sweeping synth sounds against a slow beat, and I think they would benefit from a bit of vibrancy on top maybe as another layer. For example timeline and fire are at a dubstep bpm which is quite slow in itself, maybe flip from the sweeping synths you use and try and incorporate similar things you hear in other dubstep tunes like wobbles, and shorter distorted bass sounds to liven things up (or add as a layer on top of the sweeping synths)? Just thinking out loud, timeline would be my favorite to try a wobble or short distorted bass on. In general they're well constructed though, beats were good in timeline in my opinion.

EDIT : Kind of like what you've done in memorys

EDIT AGAIN : Beats were rolling very good in turning point, like the hihats in this track - more of that would be good

SORRY ONE MORE EDIT : Blue Monzoon is without doubt the best track on there. Listen to this you've clearly got the knack, I don't know you but I'd guess you're maybe loosing a bit of drive in your more recent tracks. You can feel the vibrancy of the shorter sounds I'm thinking about here in this track as they're layred on top of the slower sweeps etc, beats are spot on construction wise if in need of a little bit more punch, general arrangement, its all good here. Get back to this frame of mind I think, top tune.

Brilliant! Thanks very much for taking the time out mate. Some great feedback there. I think you're exactly right too a few months ago I had a bit more energy and focus but have slowly gotten a bit disheartened as I just keep starting more and more stuff thinking its rubbish not being able to bounce it off anyone and starting new tracks.

But I have have had some good respose today, thanks everyone. I know my production and mixes are a few years off yet but it sounds like I am going in the right direction at least!

I'd defo listen to track one again anyway. Keep at it, how long have you been producing? (I think you mentioned in another thread but I can't remember)

Thanks again for your comments dude. Been doing it off and on as a hobby for about 18 months. I usually do a few hours a couple of nights and maybe a few more on the weekend, but then I get periods when I get a bit pissed off (as I said earlier) thinks its all crap and dont do anything for a couple of weeks.

caught you dreaming is a sweet track, i think like someone else already said, the bass seems a little to heavy, drums are a little bit weak, maybe try layering some more kicks and snares in there to boost them. also, i find with the high hats, if you pan the individually left and right, not completely, it widens the sound of your drums nicely.

timeline again, another sweet track imo. maybe needs a little more variation, other than that, there aint really much technical advice i can give.

fire again needs some more variation.

but on the whole, good tracks in my opinion. just keep on keepin on. ;)

Back
Top Bottom