Help with my tracks

Discussion in 'Production' started by dj-dusty, Oct 14, 2015.

1. dj-dusty

dj-dusty Member

Hey guys been a long time since I posted on here, im just after some advice really.

My tracks have come along leaps and bounds over the last year but it seems like they are lacking something.

I'm pretty sure this is lack of depth in the track. I listen to professional tracks and can hear fx and textures in the background but in some I cannot, is that just a quality mix down or am I just not hearing it?

I have tried to out some fx and atmospheric stuff over the drop but it never sounds right ever, so what am I missing/doing wrong? I have decent sub sounding nice and thick, nice full drums and synths, what am I doing wrong?

I can't upload a clip as I am at work but will do when I get home if people need to hear it.

It's not just one particular track it's across the board and I really wanna nail it so I can finish my tunes lol

Thanks in advance peeps

2. RUSSLA

RUSSLA DNBF Monarch

Need a clip really geeza, hope you're good!

3. Catalyst_dnb

Catalyst_dnb Member

I'm by no means a pro, but I struggled for a while with this. My problem was that I wasn't adding enough hihats or light percussion behind my drums. Not noticeable unless you're actually listening for it. then it seems to give the track more depth and shuffle. But perhaps you do this already - a clip would be great if you can put one up.

4. filtronstacks

filtronstacks Member

Amateur here but you could also try putting a spectrum analyser on the master channel to check if there's any notable dips in the frequencies.

5. Derelicts Of Tomorrow

Derelicts Of Tomorrow Breaksmith...

got a link bruh? i'd love to check out your tunes and provide you with some feedback glady ;)

6. Derelicts Of Tomorrow

Derelicts Of Tomorrow Breaksmith...

btw, i understand the struggle you are experiencing as i have gone through it myself. the DJ Fracture ableton dnb tutorial got me over it. it's nothing ground breaking, but rather simple genious and a perfect starting point... pm me, i can hook you up with some important info that will grant you access to said knowledge...

7. CnH

CnH Rol

Alright fella, thought I'd add my 2 cents here.

[​IMG]
    Look at this Parametric Eq. And now imagine that this is your song playing and these are the frequencies of said song. You can see in this example that the frequencies above
    the green '5' are much less powerful, even none existent.
    This is why your song will sound less 'full', because it is.
    Play your track through and watch for these gaps or troughs and create something of that frequency to fill the empty space.
    I'd usually find myself a nice pad and eq it so it fits into the frequency range I need and no more. You can go the other way with it and completely fill your song up to the point everything is
    fighting for space and it sounds cluttered. Life is all about balance.
    Another note that really helped me see the bigger picture was the realization that not everything in a song has to be heard, to be heard. What I mean by this is that if you break a song down
    by say, Silent Witness, there will be so many underlying drum hits, effects and instruments you wont even be able to pick out, but should they be taken away you certainly will and the
    tracks 'fullness' will be reduced.

tl;dr Find weak frequencies and fill them in.

Edit: About your FX's issue too, try reversing a crash (or anything really), dropping the volume, low/high cut it and then add some delay to it and stick it in the middle of a bar. Adds a nice
    wooosh-wo-wo-wo (eh) to fill it out.

Edit 2: Formatting YO

Last edited: Oct 16, 2015