Help with improving my Mixing

Kevdino

Howdy,

So recently Ive been given the chance to start playing out, however I have some concerns with my ability to maintain the intensity of a mix (that is, keep it from dropping out, into the mellow parts of songs).

I find I can mix well, I've been told Im ready to play out(skillwise), but I still feel that my style of mixing consists of too many mellow parts (think Sabre for example, lots of atmospheric parts contrasted by longer instances of smooth blending).

I feel that this style of mixing wont be well accepted, however where things become confusing is with regards to whether or not I'm simply trying to apply the more jumpup style of mixing (quick cuts, shortblends) to more darker/minimal drum and bass (such as Alix Perez, Data, Sabre, etc. this being the stuff I spin.)

So, any help with either tips to improve my ability to blend quicker (without it sounding too sudden) or maybe some advice on how the more minimal type of tunes are meant to be mixed would be greatly appreciated.

Dont think im not a fan of the more mellow parts of tunes, If anything Id wish more people would let tunes drop out.

I hope this isnt too confusing, This is kinda stressing me out :clown:

Thanks!

Basically you should stick with what you do but try other things to improve anyway.
If you have been picked up to play out you have been picked up to play out.
I play all styles of dnb and I find that when I blends liquid I do much longer smooth blends but with jump up etc the tactic in terms of mixing is double dropping. Where you align to records so they 'drop' at the same time. This leads to a huge level of impact.
There should be no reason for you to do this every mix though as it can get boring.
The most important thing though is tune selection. If you look at Andy C for example as well as mixing and blending records damn fast and smoothly he knows when to drop each record to have a big impact on the crowd.
Hope that helps mate.

I guess it depends on your crowd. If they're after some harsh jump up then they may not like long subtle blends, but most varied d&b crowds should really feel a well thought out deep mix. If you are playing to a jump up crowd, play more jump up and energetic drum and bass and the right mixing for that genre will just come naturally (eg. a lot of tracks have 2 sequence intros so long blends aren't even possible). Theres no point in mixing in an unnatural way the tunes you're playing, it should be the tunes themselves that change.

Mate... my best advice to you in this situation is to do what you do normally...

Dont pretend to be something your not... not that im saying you are... but if thats the stuff you usually play... then play it... at first people may not like you or be negative towards you because you dont play the default jump-up bullshit.... but eventually people will recognise you for the stuff you play and will respect you for sticking to what you like doing...

Mate... my best advice to you in this situation is to do what you do normally...

Dont pretend to be something your not... not that im saying you are... but if thats the stuff you usually play... then play it... at first people may not like you or be negative towards you because you dont play the default jump-up bullshit.... but eventually people will recognise you for the stuff you play and will respect you for sticking to what you like doing...

Def agree with this but there does need to be SOME variation depending on the crowd surely? Even the big DJs like Marky and Friction go to different places in terms of their selection depending on whether they're at some Slammin Vinyl event or at their label night.

ive no big experience on mixing but agree with all the points made
however, as i am still a student, my initial objective for a dnb/dubstep mix is for it to work well with a very varied crowd. cos the majority of raves i play at, most of the peeps aren't big fans of the drum and the bass, I need to settle on something with enough diversity for a new listener to appreciate whilst still keeping the party pumping. if it means slipping in some shitty basshunter in the middle, so be it cos in the end, the crowd will then appreciate the underground tracks much more.
hope that is relevant and helps

freque
xyz

^^ This all over, play what you play. You should be respected for what you do, not jumping on the bandwagon.

If your good enough it shouldnt really matter what you play, there will always be someone who will digg it!

Thanks everyone for the positive comments.

Ill keep practicing my style of playing and let you guys know how everything turns out.

Thanks again

EDIT: Im from toronto, and from what I hear, jump up seems to be the preferred choice of music. However, the fellow whos kinda giving me my intial push is well aware of the type of dnb I play so Im sure he wouldnt goto these lengths unless he thought it would be recieved well.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the positive comments.

Ill keep practicing my style of playing and let you guys know how everything turns out.

Thanks again

EDIT: Im from toronto, and from what I hear, jump up seems to be the preferred choice of music. However, the fellow whos kinda giving me my intial push is well aware of the type of dnb I play so Im sure he wouldnt goto these lengths unless he thought it would be recieved well.

Your problem seems to be you want to mix for other people to much, do what YOU want its YOUR hobby!! Of course its good to roll with the crowd live though!

Good luck matey

This.

Its more important to develop your own Style vs. playing what somebody else wants to hear. You do have to mix it up a bit depending on crowd (as mentioned earlier) but I don't think it should be so drastic that its changing your style along the way.

just look at the dancefloor, and play what you would want to hear at that point.
not your latest tune, or the biggest tune, or a certain style, just something that fits.

I'm all for developing your own style, but I've seen too many clueless DJs who just don't get that no one is feeling their set, but they just put their head back down and play what they rehearsed in their bedroom.

mix how you mix and just keep your selection tight. play to the crowd a bit, but keep true to yourself.

i'd rather be known as a dj who has a good selection and can read vibes, than someone who just mixes tunes together well.

Experience plays a massive part in this, i've only ust started to play out more and your never guna smash it hard until you have had enough experience to know whats goinf well and whats not.

Just keep at it, if your set doesnt go down well, just keep trying and you'll find your feet over time. No one gets on the decks and rinses out like Andy just because they can in their bed room!

shit! if u play for 4self - do whatta u wanna do. if u play 4 people - u should feel them inhale the feedback! just feel the music with ur heart, never hesitate if the choice is weird - u'll learn that every choice is good in good moment. i'm not an expert but i've been playing lots of parties with lots of people and only one thing is shure - more u suprise audience more it will be satisfied. =)
cheers!

Back
Top Bottom