help with FL5 plz?

El Prophet

can any one tell me how to apply a volume controller to a pattern so i can make a sound rise from nothing or fade away to nothing, bit of a stupid question but im a complete newbie...

El Prophet said:
can any one tell me how to apply a volume controller to a pattern so i can make a sound rise from nothing or fade away to nothing, bit of a stupid question but im a complete newbie...
Assign the sound to the FX mixer (click the sound and press CTRL+L) then right click on the volume controller for that channel, then click 'Edit Events' (or something similar, I can't check cause I'm at work), then draw in the motion for the volume fader.

It's generally best to put these automations on their own pattern, so make sure you pick a blank one before you start.

is there a way of doing it without having to draw it, can you type in a number range so from one bar to the next it rises the same amount

El Prophet said:
is there a way of doing it without having to draw it, can you type in a number range so from one bar to the next it rises the same amount
You can right click and drag, this will draw you a straight line from point A to point B.

there's also this:

Select an area in the playlist editor that you want to automate (CTRL and drag mouse on the top bar)

then go to the mixer, right click on the channel volume adn select "create automation clip". this creates a visual envelope in the bottom of the playlist.

Almost everything can be automated like this. in synths you have to tweak the parameter you want to automate first (ie. touch it with L-mouse) and then from the upper left corner of the plug in window select create automation clip. if you didnt select an area in the playlist, the clip will be shown in the pattern editor (show automation clips) and you can select the automation channel and click in the playlist and the clip goes there.

This is in my book a better choice than doing it in patterns, since you actually see the enveloe in the playlist editor. They can be dragged to cover the whole song if need be.

Last edited:
would ne 1 mind if i posted a garage tune on here in a week or two cause ive been working on some drum n bass tunes but they dont satisfy me yet and i've nearly finished a garage tune

You can post anything you've been working on in this thread mate, just let people know what it is :rasta:

sdm said:
Assign the sound to the FX mixer (click the sound and press CTRL+L) then right click on the volume controller for that channel, then click 'Edit Events' (or something similar, I can't check cause I'm at work), then draw in the motion for the volume fader.

It's generally best to put these automations on their own pattern, so make sure you pick a blank one before you start.

In my experience with editing the events on a patch, it messes up the rest of the production with that patch, because it defaultly maxes out the volume of the patch in future patterns, assuming that you're doing a fade in. I'm pretty sure thats the only way you can do it though inless it's a simsynth sound, and I'm not sure if you can go in to the synth controller and change the volume, because you can change everything else in it.

Hope I helped,
Tyler

question about compression, do you lot compress your whole drum kit on the same fx channel cause i've been compressing each individual drum sample with its own compression and does a sample neccisarily have to be compressed cause one of my bass beats i think actually sounds better without it

Back
Top Bottom