HELP WITH CONNECTING XBOX TO LIVE THROUGH PC ?

Discussion in 'Waffle' started by clewesy08, Apr 26, 2009.

1. clewesy08

clewesy08 Member

mst of the places ive looked says u have to ryt click on the wireless connection n then go to advanced then click a box to allow allow other computers to connect through this connection or smit like that

but on myn i dnt av no boxes to tick all i get is windows firewall settings section

any help ?

2. djhektikz

djhektikz Active Member

hmmm do u not have a router? iv jus got internet cable from the router into the back of my xbox.

3. NastyLimbCheat

NastyLimbCheat Active Member

lol what exactly are you trying to do?

connect to xbox live through the internet?

or connect your xbox to your pc through your home network with windows media sharing aka windows media center?

4. clewesy08

clewesy08 Member

yeh ive gt a router its just
    i want to play 360 upstairs because downstairs tv is in use

cuz i heard u can connect xbox to pc through ethernet then use the wireless on pc to connect to live

5. clewesy08

clewesy08 Member

im trying to connect to xbox live through my pc which connects to the router which connects to the internet which gets me xbox live :)

6. MattPlanet

MattPlanet New Member

Are you running Vista or XP on the PC? Also, what router is it running into?

It's possible with any configuration really, but I can tailor my instructions if I know the above first...

7. $marty

$marty Dexcell Staff Member

Just save £60 and get the wireless adaptor :2thumbs:

8. djhektikz

djhektikz Active Member

jus buy a 10 metre long internet cable thats wat i done

9. clewesy08

clewesy08 Member

im running xp home
    and its connected to a netgear

10. NastyLimbCheat

NastyLimbCheat Active Member

yea thats what i did, got a 20 meter cable, downstairs to upstairs router

11. MattPlanet

MattPlanet New Member

If you can bear to run a cable, you'll get a better/more reliable connection.

If you click Start>Control Panel>Network Connections, then right-click on your wireless connection then Properties then the Advanced tab, is there a tick for enable Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)?

Also, do you know the IP of your router? ICS uses 192.168.0.1, so you'll need to change it if that's the case. Generally speaking, Netgear use 192.168.0.1.

You might get on better just by bridging the connections (Start>Control Panel>Network Connections) then select your LAN and wireless connections, right-click and select bridge. You'll probably lose your wireless connection during this, and if it doesn't work, be prepared to reverse it. Personally, I've not had a huge amount of luck with this method...

12. DJNitrousUK

DJNitrousUK Active Member

:ditto:

13. Welsh Junglist

Welsh Junglist AKA Faqade

This is what I have to do mate cause a cable isn't possible for me like.

1. Right, you should have two connections in the Network Connections menu in Control Panel. The LAN one will be your Xbox and the Wireless one will be your Wireless adapter:

[​IMG]

2. Right click on your wirless adapter connection and click on properties.Then follow the instructions in the picture below. Select "Use the following IP address" and the input an IP like this one:

IP address: 192.168.0.5
    Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1

Preferred DNS server: 192.168.0.1

[​IMG]

When your done, click on OK. Do this for the LAN connection too but change the IP address to 192.168.0.4 and keep the rest the same as the wireless adapter.

3. When your done, highlight both connections your just edited and select "Bridge Connections".

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Now the connections are bridged. Repeat step 2 and edit the Netowork Bridge IP address to something like 192.168.0.3 and keep the other settings the same. So now you have your IP's like this:
    Network Bridge: 192.168.0.3
    LAN Network:192.168.0.4
    Wireless Adapter: 192.168.0.5

You don't have to have 3, 4, 5 on the end, it's up to you what number you have aslong as it's between 2-249.

I also set my Xbox 360 IP to 192.168.0.250, you do this on your xbox like. The subnet settings etc on your xbox will be the same as the one's you've done before.

5. Now you need to go into your router page, in firefox or something put http://192.168.0.1/ You'll probably have to sign in to your router, I think passwords are usually "admin" "administrator" or "password". I'm not quite sure how to do it on a Netgear router but I'll show you how I did it on mine, it should be quite similar tbh.
    There should be an advanced tab or something like below and/or an option for Port Forwarding. Make sure the IP's you have set before and all on your router like in the drop down list below. Now you'll need to create a "rule" for xbox live.

[​IMG]

6. Now you need to make a rule for xbox live otherwise your router's firewall will block the ports that xbox live uses. The settings for the rules are below:

UDP: 88 88 88
    UDP: 3074 3074 3074
    TCP: 3074 3074 3074

[​IMG]

Name it "live" or something. Then click save or whatever it is on a Netgear router. Now go back and select your Xbox 360s IP from the drop down list (.250 at the end) then apply the "live" rule to your Xbox 360s IP.

[​IMG]

Now save all the settings on your router. Make sure you've saved the router settings otherwise it won't keep them when you switch it off. Try Xbox live, it should work now but if it doesn't then post again in here and tell me what's up and I'll have another go like.

(If you notice that my IP's are 1._ at the end it's just because my router is a D-Link and the IP for those is 192.168.1.1 and yours is a Netgear and they are 192.168.0.1)

Last edited: Apr 26, 2009
  14. MattPlanet

MattPlanet New Member

Boom guide, that.

Much better than over ICS.

Excellent work.

15. Welsh Junglist

Thanks man, that cured Sunday afternoon boredom! Yeh I tried ICS and it wasn't having none of it so I had to do it this way like.

16. clewesy08

clewesy08 Member

nice one for the ace guide m8
    i just get a bit stuck wen i have to set the rules and services bit m8
    u culdnt do a list of what i actually have to do as im confused

if u culd can we do a show app or sumfing over msn so u can see wot i do and help me along ?
    many thanks

Last edited: Apr 26, 2009
  17. Welsh Junglist

Give us your Netgear model number mate.

18. clewesy08

clewesy08 Member

Netgear DG834GT

19. Welsh Junglist