Help with a computer problem..

Discussion in 'Waffle' started by Kobi, May 29, 2011.

1. Kobi

Kobi Member

Right, all of a sudden my computer has an issue opening programs. When I double click on the icon it always opens the box asking what programme to open this application with, so if I click on firefox icon i have to then browse for firefox to open it with. This happens with both desktop shortcuts and programms from the menu list.
    Also the box that says 'Always open with this programme' is shaded so i cannot check it to save myself the hassle.
    The only thing ive recently installed was an AVG update, and my computer has no viruses. Anyone had this before or have any idea how to fix it? Cheers

2. $marty

$marty Dexcell Staff Member

Have you tried turning it off and on again????

3. DBazza

DBazza Member

You've got a virus which dicks about with your computer's file associations (and maybe does other stuff, but I'm not entirely sure on that).

First of all you need to download this: http://www.mediafire.com/?w6vxgrsh48m2561 which is a file called exefix.reg. Download it onto a USB stick then go into My Computer and find it and run it from there, as you'll still be able to do that. Once this is done the file associations will be sorted out so you'll be able to open programs normally again.

I'd then recommend rebooting into Safe Mode with Networking, and downloading the free version of a program called Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (google will find it). It's not a big program so it won't take long to download and install. Once it's installed, run a quick scan and that should pick up anything that's left over.

4. Kobi

Kobi Member

What I ended up doing was a System Restore in safe mode to 10 days ago, it seems to have fixed the problem with the file associations but now I can't seem to either upgrade or uninstall AVG (so maybe this was the source of the issue). I did uninstall it before the system restore but now I cant uninstall it or use it, double clicking it just loads nothing, everything else is fine tho

5. Acid_Alli

Acid_Alli aka The Executioner

Was the AVG pirated?

6. EWOKS

EWOKS POTATOES GONNA POTATE

put it in the microwave .. in pieces if it doesnt fit ..

7. Kobi

Kobi Member

Nah, just the standard free version from the internet, had it for ages and its always worked fine