Help - Where is dnb headed?

Vanden

-nieuwenhuysen
VIP Junglist
I know some of you are going to hate this thread, but here it is anyway.

I have been asked by a friend of mine to write an article on where drum and bass is going in terms of the deeper sounds (as opposed to jump up and dancefloor).

Already written a section on the juke and footwork influences and was gonna write a little bit about the continuation of the autonomic sound through producers such as synkro and asc.

But instead of it being an article on where i want or think it might go, i wanted to ask you lot to see if you have inclinations that i hadnt even thought of or heard of.

(y)

it's ever evolving and ever changing, growing more worldwide and more accessible by the day. It's not going anywhere anytime soon.

it's ever evolving and ever changing, growing more worldwide and more accessible by the day. It's not going anywhere anytime soon.

sprechblase1.jpg

I've heard some big producers say about dnb that "you have to go back to move forwards" (I hope you have / will include that), with regard to tunes becoming cluttered with elements about 2 years ago. Tunes started to become more stripped back, around the time Food Fight / Proteus came out.

There was also a quote on Jubei's myspace about 3 years ago which said something along the lines of "Expressing the utmost with the minimum", which turns out is from a Bruce Lee quote. I thought that suited Jubei's style to a T.

Hope you include a section on 85 bpm stuff too (possibly alongside the Autonomic movement you mentioned).
I was listening to that dBridge mix on the way to a skatepark about a month ago with a full car of people, where he was plugging alot of stuff from Mosaic 2 and a friend of mine asked if it was hip hop we were listening to. Thought that was a nice sentiment & had to explain about the 85 bpm / 170 bmp cross over between some hip hop / half time dnb / dnb ect

Last edited:
Dub Phizix, Skeptical, Clarity, Overlook, Ruffhouse etc. I guess it's minimal? They all have a sound that's very unique to what we've heard before.

I've definitely noticed an ambient piccolo 2-step power drill influence creeping into some of the 'deeper' stuff (as opposed to jump up and dancefloor) lately.

the return of jump up.

stripped back tracks using only the best elements.
no screetchy noises. just raw flavour.

If you are finished with the article I'd very much like to read it !

One other thing I noticed is that Halftime tunes with MCs have been everywhere since the success of marka, There is a tendency towards the more minimalistic stuff and something more general which obviously has to with production standarts is that the tunes got a lot "cleaner", only a handful of producers go for a more raw unpolished sound (both have their appeal in my opinion)

cant really think of anything else at the moment since you already mentioned autonomic and juke

If you are finished with the article I'd very much like to read it !

One other thing I noticed is that Halftime tunes with MCs have been everywhere since the success of marka, There is a tendency towards the more minimalistic stuff and something more general which obviously has to with production standarts is that the tunes got a lot "cleaner", only a handful of producers go for a more raw unpolished sound (both have their appeal in my opinion)

Yeah man, as soon as its done ill put it up here for people to read and either agree or disagree. Bearing in mind, I haven't written anything of any length for a very long time - I'm a numbers person not a words smith. But I think he's gonna edit it so its gramtically correct and what not.

Yeah the halftime MC stuff was something I was gonna mention too, although, at first I was sort of struggling to get my head around the idea that although a certain type of sound was initiated a couple of years ago, it doesn't mean its not still cutting edge.

Back
Top Bottom