Help wanted...

Discussion in 'Production' started by djad, Oct 13, 2011.

1. djad

djad leo the lion

hey all.. its time for a new computer. I dont need a top of the range apple - infact im prob going to stick to pc and fruity loops (which im slowly but surely learning)..

I need it to run fruity and NI massive and i guess not be the crappest thing in the world. I have abit of cash to spend tho..

Any thought help or examples would be really appreciated.

Also with massive could i get a sound like this?:

If you have examles of your tracks like it aswel using massive id like to hear them.. thanks in advance ;)

PS- heres carlton :carlton:

2. Dom!Reavers!

Dom!Reavers! Member

build one, seriously dude they are the easiest thing in the world to put together as long as you know how to use a screwdriver, you will save a ton of money and will end up with an awesome pc.

Just get yourself a good quad core processor (i5 2500k are very powerful and quite cheap) 4gb+ of RAM a compatible motherboard, power supply and drives and then you're pretty much there..

However i know that computers still scare alot of people (im a computer science student :p) so if you dont think your upto the task of building one just look for something with the above specs and you'll be golden.

Hope that helps

3. miszt

miszt BASSFACE Royale

a 400£ HP laptop will do you fine for a year or 2

unless you want to learn howto build a computer, at the same time as learning howto produce, in which case, yeah, build one....that takes almost as much skill as production however, and definitly not a route to go if you arnt confident doing it in the first place, i doubt u'd be asking the question if you where

anyways, i use a 400£ hp laptop for live performance, and production away from the studio, its got an i5 processor (dual core, 2.6ghz) and 4gb of ram, I occasionly max out the CPU, but i suspect that my use is much heavier than yours will be for a little while. the only issue might be the hard-drive, its worth getting an external 7200RPM hard-drive for heavy sample use, as laptop drives tend to be slow. the other thing, get a screen as big as you can afford, 15.4inch widescreen, minimum, 17 if you can afford, although it gets kinda chunky to carry around at that size

---------- Post added at 22:11 ---------- Previous post was at 22:03 ----------

and for 'desktop' PC's, get the most powerful one you can afford, u can get allot more power for £ than in a laptop

4. djad

djad leo the lion

i can definatly see the benefits in building but i really know very little about it.. I was going to get a pc as my laptop is used for mixing and get dragged around the place. I was thinking of building my own fort at home where i can be left alone. I have a 500gb usb harddrive for storage. I litterally wanna start messing up b-lines (like the tune in first post) and move on from there.

thanks for your help guys.. John we can shoot the shit later on in the week if you fancy it.

5. miszt

miszt BASSFACE Royale

mite b on aim man, but i'm movin house, busy as hell for the next week or few, looong!

6. peterfiction

peterfiction Member

im gonna second that you build one yourself Dom!Reavers! is talking a lot of sense, you get a lot better price/performance ratio than most companies are willing to sell you & a desktop processor is going to provide much more processing power than a laptop.
    even if you dont know how to build one you could work it out by watching youtube tutorials.

7. djad

djad leo the lion

there is your first thankyou peter lol.. I have friends who build thier own pc's for gaming so i guess they could probably give me a hand. Plus i could buy a see through case with one of those fish tanks in it!!

---------- Post added at 23:23 ---------- Previous post was at 23:22 ----------

Its either you moving house or "im getting a cuppa tea" with you Miszt!!! ;)

8. miszt

miszt BASSFACE Royale

good point! havnt had a cuppa in the last 2 hours, slackin

9. djad

djad leo the lion

we both know thats a lie.

10. subprime

subprime Dysjoint

a lappy will definitely do for a while, but if pc then....
    I built mine by watching youtube and reading a couple of tutorials. Just do some research before you buy. It cost a little more than i thought it would, but I paid for my OS.
    If one of your mates gives you a hand you'll be laughing. It was a bit of a stress having all those components sitting there in front of me, my biggest worry was static electricity, just cleared the dining table, drank vodka and got on with it.

When I finished I turned it on and nothing happened, almost cried. Didn't have it plugged in at the wall did I?

No overall warranty, or OS support tho...