Help Using Audacity recording problems

Junglist_007

learning difficulties
VIP Junglist
Hi People,
Hope someone can help me out. I use Audacity to record my DJ mixes, just strated using Audacity. Problem is every time i record then play it back it comes out all distorted. I got phono leads into back of my Technics mixer (REC OUT) then other end into my laptop micro phone port. It records music but its all distored and fuzzy. Ive tried messing about with all sorts of settings but nothing works. Ive also put other part of lead into other port, but that don't work. Has anyone got any ideas, please help. Thanks Guys : )

PS. I been told this program won't work becuase the mixer sends out high signals/levels then micro phone. Is this true!

Hi People,
Hope someone can help me out. I use Audacity to record my DJ mixes, just strated using Audacity. Problem is every time i record then play it back it comes out all distorted. I got phono leads into back of my Technics mixer (REC OUT) then other end into my laptop micro phone port. It records music but its all distored and fuzzy. Ive tried messing about with all sorts of settings but nothing works. Ive also put other part of lead into other port, but that don't work. Has anyone got any ideas, please help. Thanks Guys : )

PS. I been told this program won't work becuase the mixer sends out high signals/levels then micro phone. Is this true!

On Audacity there is a slider at the top that allows you to change the recording level, you need to make sure that this is quite low otherwise the sound will be clipped...

Basically, just look at the peaks on the screen when you are recording and make sure that they aren't too high, if you lower the recording level then it should be sorted...

Hi Treazon thanks for the info. I tried that lot better than it was, but i still hear but distorting. Do you know of any software that i could buy, make recording easyier. Cheers mate.

mate u shouldnt record through the microphone input, as the microphone input boosts the signal

you should plug it into a line input, does your computer have three holes next to each other??? if so, one of these should be the line input

oh and buying other software would be pointless, you would have the same outcome

mate u shouldnt record through the microphone input, as the microphone input boosts the signal

you should plug it into a line input, does your computer have three holes next to each other??? if so, one of these should be the line input

oh and buying other software would be pointless, you would have the same outcome

:word:

Stick your jack into 'line in' and make sure the recording levels in audacity don't go red. Its exactly the same as having red on your mixer.

Thanks for the replays, nice 1 guys. I got port next to microphone jack, got lilltle red light in it. Is that the line input? Cheers 4 all the help.

Thanks for the replays, nice 1 guys. I got port next to microphone jack, got lilltle red light in it. Is that the line input? Cheers 4 all the help.

Thats probably an optical connection so probably no. You can try it anyway.

Programs will NOT help you with clipped distorted music. If you have a too high level going into the card then you have a too high level, end of story! No software audio fiddling will change that.

Check your volume levels in Windows. Open the control panel and volumes. Pull the slider on mic input down. That might help. Actually it should solve your problem.

Or disconnect from record on your mixer and stick the cables into a monitor output - put the volume down.

OR pull the levels way down on your faders and boost your amplifiers and headphones, that will also decrease the signal to your sound card.

BUY A GOOD SOUNDCARD DUDE!
Forget running it directly to your laptop.
Most standard onboard soundcards are pony.

Back
Top Bottom