help to mend a mixer

casualj

hi, i recently purchaced a new mixer and am trying to offload my old one, its a Numark Pro SM1. It worked fine everyday when i used it but since boxing it up it seems to have broken. When i tried to unbox it and set it up at a mates it wouldnt work.

I think its because of the power cord breaking something when it was pulled out. It looks like the copper wires have pulled out of place. (see image below)

viewer.php
[/URL][/IMG]

viewer.php
[/URL][/IMG]

al5xqkegw5ioco8oexh.jpg
[/IMG]

just wondered if anyone knows if this is mendable? and how?

much appreciate any help

Possibly mendable if you get a similar socket, open up the mixer, remove the old one and solder in the new one.

Only problem is that because of how the pins seem to have bent, they may be touching so it could have shorted out the power supply - higher quality ones will have thermal fuses so it might still work but on cheaper ones it might just kill it. If the power supply is dead you could have trouble finding a replacement as that looks like a telephone connector, not the sort you would normally see on a power cable, so it might be hard to find a replacement (or very expensive).

Check to see if the power cable still works first (from reading your post again i'm guessing it probably will).

If it does, then you need to take it apart and un-solder the original power socket. A new one will cost a couple of quid from maplin or ebay or something, it looks like a standard RJ-11 telephone socket so it will be easy to find.

Hope this helps :)

nice one man, yeah it was all working fine untill i boxed it up so i presume its the pins bending when i pulled the cable out.

gonna make a trip to maplin in a bit and try and score a soldering iron off a mate

gonna be a botch job though

never soldered before!

nice one man, yeah it was all working fine untill i boxed it up so i presume its the pins bending when i pulled the cable out.

gonna make a trip to maplin in a bit and try and score a soldering iron off a mate

gonna be a botch job though

never soldered before!

its not too hard, just remember to distribute the heat evenly, and more than anything make sure you get a good mechanical joint before you solder it, i.e. wrap the legs around whatever you are soldering to, so it doesn't move around.

Have a skim through this to pick up the basics: http://www.epemag.wimborne.co.uk/solderfaq.htm

shunt be to ard to fix if you can find a plug that looks like that. it looks like a telephone sort of connection if it is or uve got one its easy jus cut the wire an affix the nu plug joining the wire back together like you wud wiv a normal plug.

Back
Top Bottom