*help* Struggling with track selection when mixing

RogueStatus

Hi all,

Before I start just want to add I used the search function on here and also google but couldn't really find any info.

Ive been listening to DNB and mixing all sorts of music for a few years now and have built up a good library over time from free DLs, to vinyl and beatport etc so I have a decent(ish) selection of tracks to choose from.

When mixing I try to stick to the harmonic mixing wheel and general rules of mixing (i.e. tracks with similar bpm, keys and not using tracks with vastly different sounds) but sometimes I feel when i play a mix back the mixing just doesn't sound right at all... I question whether I'm being too critical of myself but one thing I usually do is not mix from a pre-selected tracklist I just tend to let the first track play, pick a 2nd track, listen to it as the first tune is playing and mix it in either on the break, by double dropping or at some point towards the end of the first tune.

So basically... if you could offer any advice on how you select the next tune to mix in nicely or what you do to select tunes to go together that would be appreciated.

Cheers!

Is there anybody that you really like their mixes?
i'd reccomend really listening to how they flow in and out of mixes, and trying to think of what combos you would like in place of some of the ones in said mix. don't be afraid to let tunes roll instead of double dropping everything, a good blend is just as good as a good double when done correctly.
i learnt to mix purely because i used to love andy c mixes, (around 2003) but would find myself fast forwarding through some pieces. which in the car you hit a bump and then boom the bloody things back at the start. so for me the goal was a mix I could listen to start to finish with no need to fast forward.
Most things are personal preference, so take feedback on board and compare it with your own thoughts. you'll find everybody likes different things.
Hope this helps, all the best and feel free to post mixes for people on here to check out, you'll find they're quite helpful

Is there anybody that you really like their mixes?
i'd reccomend really listening to how they flow in and out of mixes, and trying to think of what combos you would like in place of some of the ones in said mix. don't be afraid to let tunes roll instead of double dropping everything, a good blend is just as good as a good double when done correctly.
i learnt to mix purely because i used to love andy c mixes, (around 2003) but would find myself fast forwarding through some pieces. which in the car you hit a bump and then boom the bloody things back at the start. so for me the goal was a mix I could listen to start to finish with no need to fast forward.
Most things are personal preference, so take feedback on board and compare it with your own thoughts. you'll find everybody likes different things.
Hope this helps, all the best and feel free to post mixes for people on here to check out, you'll find they're quite helpful

Cheers for that mate, I'll definitely take all of that on board and some great advice in there.
I love listening to live sets and old radio mixes so I'll look up some up tomorrow, probably ones I haven't heard before to see what I can pick out.

Will definitely post my next mix up on here and hopefully I'll be able to get a mix together that just flows completely smoothly.

Keep recording and uploading mixes for critque - Only way to get another perspective on your style (y)

This, great piece of advice.

I wouldn't worry to much about you not liking your mixes when listening back, you are your own worst critic and you know where you have made slip ups even though they might be small they will piss you off to no end. Also I wouldn't worry too much about being in key, BPM and what not, it will help but you can be surprised when you just start playing around with tunes that some tunes you didn't think would go do (I only mix vinyl at home so I'm never 100% on what BPM and what key the track is in when I first start mixing it, just go with the flow) Just keep on recording mixes, uploading them and enjoying it mate!

Back
Top Bottom