[HELP] Searing Reeses!

Djashleyp

DJKomatose
Hi,

I've recently decided that the heads drum n bass arena forum dont tend to be that helpful, so i've decided to post more here instead.

MY question is this:

im looking to create a searing reese sound, i know noisia uses it a lot for example 1:40 on this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vE3RPyEsP94&feature=fvst

and 2:11 here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJuDxDJdznM

now i know what your thinking... "another noisia style sound", its not often that i ask for help on creating a sound but this one has completly stumped me. Im just looking for a rough guideline or a nudge in the right direction. i cant work out whether it is a standard saw waves detuned and distorted or what or plugins etc.

Im using cubase with massive.

tia
Ash

sounds like a pretty bog standard reese- multi voiced and detuned saw(esq) wave added with some fast yet subtle lfo movement on various knobs within the synth which cause nice movement sounds- also the pitch gliding of the synth as well as possibly an increase or decrease in the different lfo speed is what adds to effect of the sound

Recently i've figured out how to do the caylx/teebee style of bass. Morphing between patches and filters.

I've got a thread on dogs on acid going quite indepth into it, have a read and download the patches/project.

http://www.dogsonacid.com/showthread.php?t=735829

Basicly, the main thing to get the modulation you are after is to automate filters. Noisia often use all sorts of sounds to make their basslines, "The Tide" used a recording of a pressure washer. I can't show you how to exactly recreate any certain bassline, its nearly impossible with nuero stuff like noisia. Look up granular synthesis or Foley bass for getting similar results as billian and noisia.

If you have NI massive, try setting up a reese patch with waveforms other than square/saw, then setting up macros on wavetable and filter (parallel Band pass and Band reject or what ever) and pitch (macro different occilators to different parts of a chord) on another. automate the macros, and see.

how the fucking fuck do you get from a recording of a pressure washer into the bassline on The Tide? if ever i try put effects and filter modulations on random samples, it still ends up sounding like the sample just distorted and phasey, cant get it to turn into those dark warping kinda basslines

Well, i dont know what goes on in the fucked up heads of noisia, but i think they may of

1. eqed out any gross resonances/frequencies
2. tune it, put it in a sampler
3. use it as a normal reese, process as you would (filters and distortion chorus and the lot)

Im not telling you how they exactly got it (I dont know either), but its an idea of what they would of done. Its all in the processing, you can turn anything into anything with enough. :D

Well, i dont know what goes on in the fucked up heads of noisia, but i think they may of

1. eqed out any gross resonances/frequencies
2. tune it, put it in a sampler
3. use it as a normal reese, process as you would (filters and distortion chorus and the lot)

Im not telling you how they exactly got it (I dont know either), but its an idea of what they would of done. Its all in the processing, you can turn anything into anything with enough. :D

Thats pretty much the way to do it. Loop a sample of your choice eq out the crap and play it alongside a bassline whilst filtering and distorting to taste. Used to make some crazy noises that way!
I now tend to stick to standard waves and keep the processing to a minimal and then granulize or use a lot of feedback with filtering and resonance.
I struggle mostly with mid bass, so using feedback and filters on noises sometimes brings out those missing frequencies.
Just spend a few hours if not a day on making noises (if your ears can stomach it). Then you will have something to sample by the end of the day (hopefully ;) )

@ tommerry11
Dude im loving your lil bass clip in your Sig
How'd did you go about constructing it?!

Well, for that bass, I'm pretty sure it was 4-5 copies of massive in a single instrument rack (ableton), and using the macro controls of each of my patches. I automated filters thorough out each patch, and used the instrument rack to morph between the instances of massive.

In the description on sound cloud I have the project file uploaded. For a much better bass line example of this technique, check out my new song "The Diaspora" for a pretty nice morphing bass.

Back
Top Bottom