Help on monitor speakers. Stuck what to buy!!

Easy all....

Hope you all had a good xmas etc.

Right ive got about £500 to spend on some new active monitors, ive been looking for a while and have a few suggestions but would love some feedback on them or advice on others i should buy.

First up is the Yamaha hs80ms

second. Adam F7s

Third. Foxtex pm8.4.1.3

These are all around the £500 mark but if any of you have any other ideas please tell me!!!

theres been so many threads about this recently mate. look at mackies as well. you need to go into a store that has them all and listen to them, decide for yourself which you like the most. for me it was the rokits

I'll be the guy who says if you're going to spend 500 quid go and listen to them side by side.

Also, I took in some of my own tracks that had definite flaws in the mixdown and used those to listen and imo the Rokits smoothed over the problems in the high mids, but it could have been the set-up. Anyway, based on my ears I couldn't get the rokits, the Mackie MR's were better, and maybe you can look at the HR's with your budget. Heard and read so many good things about the HS80's too, I'd love to listen to them.

Good luck.

I'll be the guy who says if you're going to spend 500 quid go and listen to them side by side.

Also, I took in some of my own tracks that had definite flaws in the mixdown and used those to listen and imo the Rokits smoothed over the problems in the high mids, but it could have been the set-up. Anyway, based on my ears I couldn't get the rokits, the Mackie MR's were better, and maybe you can look at the HR's with your budget. Heard and read so many good things about the HS80's too, I'd love to listen to them.

Good luck.

Thanks for this.....

Yeah for sure i will be listening to them side by side, i was just asking for advise on which ones i will look out for. Which you gave me your opinion. Thanks.

Good luck.

This is the best advise. You need to listen side by side if possible. But you wont go wrong with the Yamahas IMO. I love em :)

i have krk 8's they are good... but i would go for the standard mackies.... if i was to choose again! more accurate sound than these krks from what i read!

When I bought my monitors the shop-owner showed me the krk and the hs80ms and for me the hs80ms had a clearer and a better sound ..
But it depends on you how you feel about the sound

Have fun today mate and let me know which ones you chose!

just out of interest, are they for mixing as well as producing?

Na just for production mate

i have krk 8's they are good... but i would go for the standard mackies.... if i was to choose again! more accurate sound than these krks from what i read!

Cool will defo check out the Mackies

When I bought my monitors the shop-owner showed me the krk and the hs80ms and for me the hs80ms had a clearer and a better sound ..
But it depends on you how you feel about the sound

Have fun today mate and let me know which ones you chose!

Its not today will be next weekend me thinks but for sure ill let you know what, why and how they sound.

in that case, the yams will be the most "true sound" and therefor better in theory. to be honest, i went for the krks cos they sounded nicest to me. my friend has mackies cos he liked there sound. so i guess it entirely depends on you, but from what ive heard the yams are the best for a flat sound (perhaps why i didnt like them much)

in that case, the yams will be the most "true sound" and therefor better in theory. to be honest, i went for the krks cos they sounded nicest to me. my friend has mackies cos he liked there sound. so i guess it entirely depends on you, but from what ive heard the yams are the best for a flat sound (perhaps why i didnt like them much)

Yeah bang on for the flat response comment, all the reviews I read they say that the yamahas are best for that. Which I think is what I need. The test will be when I test a load out.

It's mad because the more you look online the more you start to doubt yourself. As everyone has different tastes.

I've had the rokit 5's & 8's & in my opinion they are the "ford mondeo" of studio monitors. My flat mate has the vxt 6's and they are proper sick. Really nice sound. So if you go krk it's vxt all the way.The hs80's are the one in their price bracket. If I were you I'd save a little more... £600-£650 and keep your eyes PEELED on gumtree.... Mackie hr824 mk1's..... I spent £1100 on the mk2's and in reflection I wish I'd got the mk1's... Price wise.... And to be honest... Sound wise as well..... They sound warmer and flatter... The mk2's are bottom heavy.. Hope this helps dude!

If your after 'transparent' or natural sounding speakers toy might wanna hold on to your money and save for ADAM a7x or even Focal CMS 50's if your in a small room. Mind you, the room size, shape and height is veeeery important in terms of driver size.

Rokits sound good, love them for djing :D not for critical listening.

I really prefer the HS80's to the rokits. Although it is hard to compare when listening to music in different environments.

I've used a decent pair of rokits at college and I'm really not a fan. They make creating music an enjoyable experience but when I refer to other monitors my mix has a few issues.
They HS80's on the other hand are far more honest IMO. I'm going to get a pair of HS50's when I have the money. I'm fed up with making music with my HD25's!

I really prefer the HS80's to the rokits. Although it is hard to compare when listening to music in different environments.

I've used a decent pair of rokits at college and I'm really not a fan. They make creating music an enjoyable experience but when I refer to other monitors my mix has a few issues.
They HS80's on the other hand are far more honest IMO. I'm going to get a pair of HS50's when I have the money. I'm fed up with making music with my HD25's!

People definitely seem to like KRK Rokits, i think its not just because they sound good, but they also look really nice. Remember to look at different reviews and stuff, some speakers can have annoying features like bright lights etc.

Think you could get some event 2020s for that price, definitely worth checkin out.

Co-sign on the vxt's, I've got a set of the 4s and even they are sick, still prefer to mix on them over the 8" Fostex I've got, though I don't know them as well.
You could get the vxt 6's for tiny bit over 500.

You really do just need to listen to some material you know really well on a bunch of different speakers, see which ones do what to certain freqs etc

Back
Top Bottom