Help needed!

jack2290

Just got a loan through, and i'm keen to start producing asap.

Was wandering if an apple mac laptop is good enough to start producing with without having to upgrade a year or two down the line, and if so which one should i go for?

I know an actual iMac unit would be better, but i'm going to work/travel abroad in 18 months so at least then i could take the laptop with me, rather than not have access to it for however long. Any help massively appreciated, clueless as to all things production!

Depends how big your loan was, and how much of it you wanna put towards production?

A Macbook Pro would be more than enough for producing on, along with Logic or Ableton. However, Mac's are sooooo expensive it's crazy! I personally would just buy a good laptop, along with Ableton Live to start off with. Then look at VST's / Samples / Speakers / Soundcards / More RAM etc etc etc etc

Cheers for reply mate, got 2,500 loan but hoping to get a pair of Pioneers too. It does seem the Macbook Pro would be the best option, expensive but at least i know it'l go the distance. Nice one for that

my macbook pro lasted 5 years and only then started struggling with reason.... then studio one when i moved onto that.
Didn't have a student loan on my side this time so got a bargain and bought an asus laptop for just under 500 with good specs...

would always go for a mac over PC if money wasnt a problem..... but sadly macs are well overpriced imo.. (although i like the loook of logic ( and the stability of a mac )

You could get more power for your money if you got a windows laptop. £500 for a good windows laptop, saving you plenty of pennies for more software.

Windows 7 is stable, I never get crashes using it.

I wish I could say the same, my windows has crashed a couple of times already after having my laptop for about a week, u could even ( if you're willing to do the research ) buy a good spec laptop or build a pc and install osx on it. but its good to have a mac especially as the applecare warranty is top notch, and come out next day to sort ur problems.

buy a macbook pro if u have the money imo, try and get logic bundled in with it!

If the guy really is clueless about production, which he says he is, it's not sensible to blow a grand on a macbook pro.

Get a dual core windows laptop for £400 and see if you actually like production first.

A mac doesn't do anything special, or anything that a windows laptop couldn't do.

depends what he wants, dont see much poiint in buying a machine only to have to buy a more expensive better spec one not long after..
maybe try a demo version of fruityloops on pc you have access to and see if u can get ur head round it/enjoy it.

then it boils down to how much you want to blow on the computer, but you will need monitors etc aswell, so think about looking at everything you need in line with your budget!

Yeah, when you have laptop sorted, then try every DAW you can and see what is the best one, they are pretty expensive so gotta choose carefully. Maybe try *cough*pirated*coughpy* krhm, sorry about that.

My advice would be use Reaper? but maybe thats because I love it.
Its an ideal starting place and works well with midi, audio and plugins. + its dirt cheap.

as for PC vs Mac well i'd go for PC more performance for money. i have an i7 laptop but i wouldn't be able to afford that if it was a mac! it'd cost alot lot more.

then some decent headphones for the time being and you'll be goo i think. or some good monitors. Buy Once!

they are good, I'd love one i like using them. but not at that price

afterall its just a nice operating system and case. but still just a computer

Mate, if you've got the money get a mac. all day. and a PROPER copy of logic. they may be expensive but you will not regret it. nicer machine to use outside of production as well. don't listen to the haters, they're just jealous :P

Jack if you get a mac get logic through uni discount. is something silly like 40 percent off. get a mac anyway, can get some b2b sessions going on it.

Maybe try *cough*pirated*coughpy* krhm, sorry about that.

thats a nasty one mate, i have some covonia in the cupboard that should sort that shit out

covonia_dry_and_tickly_linctus_10772.jpg

I would get a nice windows laptop, ableton, some nice monitors (krk rokit 8/makcie mr8 mk2's or maybe some nicer ones if you want to splash out), a decent midi controller and maybe some headphones depending on how tollerant the people you live with and your neighbours are! Then try out some synths and vsts. That will keep you going for awhile!

Back
Top Bottom