Help mixing drumfunk?

analog dreams

I have been mixing for about 2 years, mostly hardcore with a bit of trance/house and anything 4 beat. Now I recently started to get into drum n bass, especially drumfunk, and I really want to mix it, but it's hard as fuck! I can beatmatch it ok, but what really gets me is the eqing, and the phrasing! I dont know when to drop the next track in, and when two drumfunk tracks are mixed with both the drums going, it sounds terrible!

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited:
Drum funk isn't too funky to begin with. Drum funk just means the drums are heavily chopped, edited, and rearranged, hence the name drumfunk.

this thread sucks. yes, its called 'drumfunk'. think old photek.
so dark atmospheres, sparse soundscapes and a lot of ninja drums.
current value is not darkstep, no, but im sure you knew that.
mixing it must be difficult, but its all drum and bass in the end as someone said, check mixes by fanuu, bizzy b, equinox for reference

this thread sucks. yes, its called 'drumfunk'. think old photek.
so dark atmospheres, sparse soundscapes and a lot of ninja drums.
current value is not darkstep, no, but im sure you knew that.
mixing it must be difficult, but its all drum and bass in the end as someone said, check mixes by fanuu, bizzy b, equinox for reference

Thanks for the info, and yes, this thread does suck because people feel the need to put in their 2cents about what subgenres should or shouldnt exist without even giving me any advice. I don't make the subgenre terms up, I'm using the term drumfunk to give you guys a feel for what I'm trying to mix, which is heavily chopped up drum n bass...

I'm suprised that of all forums, on a dnb forum, someone asks me what drumfunk is...

...also barnzee, sub genres are necessary because one might like drumfunk and not jump up, like me. I'm sure you know that though. So rather than just say "fuck subgenres", you could've just not posted at all, unless you had something helpful to say.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, and yes, this thread does suck because people feel the need to put in their 2cents about what subgenres should or shouldnt exist without even giving me any advice. I don't make the subgenre terms up, I'm using the term drumfunk to give you guys a feel for what I'm trying to mix, which is heavily chopped up drum n bass...

I'm suprised that of all forums, on a dnb forum, someone asks me what drumfunk is...

...also barnzee, sub genres are necessary because one might like drumfunk and not jump up, like me. I'm sure you know that though. So rather than just say "fuck subgenres", you could've just not posted at all, unless you had something helpful to say.

LOL.
Anyways i imagine it must be quite hard to mix it, but i've never mixed so cant help you bro. Just stick at it and persevere is all i can say:P

yes it's got to be difficult to mix.. I know a guy who listens to this stuff a lot and he mixes stuff like equinox and fracture and neptune with traktor scratch.. if I see him I will ask him some advice..

not familiar with drumfunk specifically but if it is all edits and chopped amens then just wait for an obvious place to drop it in ie end of a break and chop the fuck out of it! half a bar of A half a bar of B etc chop chop chop chop chop chop chop chop cut into tune B. any unexpected breaks shouldnt be a problem like that. also surely some of the drum patterns sound similar enough to be mixed? dunno if this helps :)

i listen to this stuff all the time.

would just call it jungle though to be honest.

chopped up amens?
yeah jungle.
basically jungle which has progressed.

its fucking jungle pretty much!

i listen to this stuff all the time.

would just call it jungle though to be honest.

chopped up amens?
yeah jungle.
basically jungle which has progressed.

its fucking jungle pretty much!

Ok, you already said the exact same thing on the last page. No one cares. I'm not asking you what you think the genre should be called.

To everyone else, thanks. Oh and kibon, thats exactly what i've been trying to mix. Mostly fracture and neptune tunes with equinox.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom