Help mixing drumfunk?

Caustic

SOUNDBOX
Well, anyway, when you say drumfunk I know what you mean. I mix a little bit of it sometimes and here's my advice for what it's worth...

No matter how chopped the break is, it's still in 4 x 4 time, so instead of listening to the kick or snare (unless the snare is on the 2 and the 4 beat aka the upbeat) try using the hi-hats which are usually on every beat in order to get the tracks in time. Most drumfunk intros are simple pads with a hi-hat.

A lot of times, it's just a feeling, getting two breaks to catch and sound good together even when it seems like there's so much going on. EQ'ing can help as I usually cut the bass out on one of the tracks...and switch back and forth using the bass eq or fader cuts.

Hope that helps. I'm no expert so all I can say is experiment and do what feels and sounds good to you.

ez

Kibon

Blaze It Down !
VIP Junglist
[Politrix];467701 said:
nah fuck off sams right, its fucking jungle guy!

sorry but I would NEVER call equinox or fracture and neptune jungle.. I think there is a clear difference between jungle and drumfunk..

SLow

Quadrospazzed life-glug
VIP Junglist
Well, anyway, when you say drumfunk I know what you mean. I mix a little bit of it sometimes and here's my advice for what it's worth...

No matter how chopped the break is, it's still in 4 x 4 time, so instead of listening to the kick or snare (unless the snare is on the 2 and the 4 beat aka the upbeat) try using the hi-hats which are usually on every beat in order to get the tracks in time. Most drumfunk intros are simple pads with a hi-hat.

A lot of times, it's just a feeling, getting two breaks to catch and sound good together even when it seems like there's so much going on. EQ'ing can help as I usually cut the bass out on one of the tracks...and switch back and forth using the bass eq or fader cuts.

Hope that helps. I'm no expert so all I can say is experiment and do what feels and sounds good to you.

ez

Thats exactly what I do when mixing drum funk, cut between the two tunes as well and mixing up the breaks a bit can sound good.. and no it's not jungle!

analog dreams

So the way I'm starting to see it, their isn't much blending in mixing drumfunk? I come from mixing 4 beat genres, so to blend for a little while is standard procedure in trance/house/hardcore, etc. Guess dnb is a bit different...

perspective

Sausage Rolls
VIP Junglist
So the way I'm starting to see it, their isn't much blending in mixing drumfunk? I come from mixing 4 beat genres, so to blend for a little while is standard procedure in trance/house/hardcore, etc. Guess dnb is a bit different...

nah not neccessarily... if you have one very basic & one complex breakbeat then you can blend them quite nicely with careful EQing. drumfunk/choppage uses very complex breakbeats compared to dnb, so finding tunes that have complimenting breakbeats is as important as finding tunes with similar structures or keys.

Top Bottom